Sony Psp2

Azuma said:
@Orion4874

I see where you're coming from but at that point it's more of a preference thing. A 16GB Pro duo costed more then 50 bucks on the PSP go's release date (I'm pretty sure of that anyways).The go was also much more pocketable than the previous iterations, so for people who prefer digital media and a smaller device (like me) the price was fine. It was more of an alternative option than an evolutionary step of the PSP. I believe it was marketed towards a different group of people than those who had the older PSPs.

And on the PS2 stuff... I'm sort of doubtful on Sony's claims about the power. If it is close to the PS3 I'm sure it could though. I can't quite recall what it was but I remember being let down on a claim like this before. That's interesting it used emulation too, I thought all the PS3s that were backwards compatible used just the hardware. Why aren't they using it in the newer PS3's btw? Just because it's glitchy and imperfect like most emulation?

Anyways, I just read this: http://www.1up.com/news/ngp-battery-life-about-the-same
I'm certainly not taking that as anything close to fact but this is looking much more promising now.
Well, here's the wiki with a chart thats describes the various PS3 models. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
The original 20 and 60gb models were hardware based and the next 60 and 80gb models were software based. Why they got rid of the emulator idk but I read that the compatability rate was about 70% and that the 70% was less than perfect so maybe it just wasn't cost efficient to keep trying to update it anymore, who knows! But if the statement that the NGP will be able to play PS3 games natively is true it might be possible. Of course someone has to hack this thing first so...... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
I like the analog sticks, which are not just another set of nubs (I don't really like nubs). The back pad seems like it could work well for some things.

It'll be great if this has Android support. I don't think it will, but I imagine Sony could do it without too much effort, and it satisfies the requisite interfaces + 3G. This would be a competitive advantage that I doubt 3DS would be able to follow, one that Sony could really use. It could really help Sony cut more into iPod Touch's sales domain.

The affect on attachment rate is a toss up.. on the one hand, more people would be buying the device with the intention of only using it for apps. On the other hand, a lot of people would buy the killer app games once they had the system than buy the system for games. It'd also solve give a nice clean avenue for homebrew that Sony would then not have to worry about addressing or fighting. This would help their image and would also make people less eager to hack the device, since there'd be little reason to outside of piracy.

And for us it'd mean access to a really good emulator device, that could perhaps inevitably handle Dreamcast, DS, and PSP (if hlide's expectations are anything to go by).. this would probably be out longer before a Pandora 2, which if using OMAP4 would still be behind in specs, especially 3D.

If anyone thinks PSPhone is viable then this would certainly be more viable.

I think there's a chance that it might happen. Component wise it doesn't seem like it would cost much more than the $180 the iPhone 4 costs, possibly hitting around $250, so they could sell the hardware and make a profit at $300 even, and $400 most definitely. There will also be multiple SKUs, so one coming in at $300 and another at $400 is quite feasible. Since they'd be turning a profit on the handset, it would make sense for them to sell as many of them as possible, even if they're being used as MIDs or PMPs, and supporting installation of Android and MeeGo would be pretty smart. Android is definitely more likely given that Sony's already working with them for the PlayStation Suite.

Azuma said:
And on the PS2 stuff... I'm sort of doubtful on Sony's claims about the power. If it is close to the PS3 I'm sure it could though. I can't quite recall what it was but I remember being let down on a claim like this before. That's interesting it used emulation too, I thought all the PS3s that were backwards compatible used just the hardware. Why aren't they using it in the newer PS3's btw? Just because it's glitchy and imperfect like most emulation?
Being as/more powerful than a PS3 seems like more Sony baloney hype. If that is the case then why is the PS3 so big and produce all of that heat and need such a big power supply? If the PS3 was less powerful than the handheld device the PS3 could be the size of a compact CD player with a tiny power supply. From a physics standpoint it doesn't make sense. Still it will be cool as it has an OLED screen, I liked that on the Wiz. For emus that weird resolution means blurry scaling for all which will take a bit of the crispness away from the OLED though.

Sony_PSP_2_official_bottom_w50004c5cc2.jpg
Sony_PSP_2_official_back_w500293d3d4.jpg
Sony_PSP_2_official_left_w500ce9ccf4.jpg
clip_image001a816614.png
Sony-NGP075aaf0.jpg

Now that’s is a handheld

Out for Christmas this year

The end of the Pandora is in sight with the new SONY NPG with
5-inch OLED touchscreen four-core CPU (ARM CortexTM-A9) and SGX543MP4+ GPU. Two analouge sticks

Full system specs:

• CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
• GPU: SGX543MP4+
• External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 × 18.6 × 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
• Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
• Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
• Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
• Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
• Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
• Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
A2DP/AVRCP/HSP

rsuryase said:
Cant wait for some to jailbreak PSP2 and put emulators on it. I don't know how GPH or even Pandora 2 can beat this monster before 2014.

Me to, can't wait and I don't think it will take long

I'd expect it to take at least a year. With FW 6.0 the PSP got a lot tighter, and the PS3 took 4 years to break. PSP2 won't be cracked all that quickly.

migo said:
I'd expect it to take at least a year. With FW 6.0 the PSP got a lot tighter, and the PS3 took 4 years to break. PSP2 won't be cracked all that quickly.

This is something different every hacker on the planet will be working on it to crack it like an egg I think it will be months no years

migo said:
Portables are usually easier to jailbreak than home consoles.

A jailbroken one of those would be every nerd's dream machine... I'm waiting with bated breath. :)

rsuryase said:
Cant wait for some to jailbreak PSP2 and put emulators on it. I don't know how GPH or even Pandora 2 can beat this monster before 2014.

GPH won't want to. There's a 1.5 GHz dual core OMAP 4 coming out H2 2011. There's also the Tegra 3 which will be quad core. There will be choices. I just don't see OP wanting to come out with a Pandora 2 before the end of 2012.

DaveC said:
Azuma said:
Being as/more powerful than a PS3 seems like more Sony baloney hype. If that is the case then why is the PS3 so big and produce all of that heat and need such a big power supply? If the PS3 was less powerful than the handheld device the PS3 could be the size of a compact CD player with a tiny power supply. From a physics standpoint it doesn't make sense. Still it will be cool as it has an OLED screen, I liked that on the Wiz. For emus that weird resolution means blurry scaling for all which will take a bit of the crispness away from the OLED though.

Well, they've said "PS3-like" and you have to remember it's driving a quarter of the number of pixels of the PS3. Big difference.

rsuryase said:
Craigx wants $500 for the Pandora. *Gulp* :blink: PSP2 to the rescue.

Yeah... at this rate the PSP2 will launch before the Pandora. I wouldn't be surprised to see it only go out to people who already pre-ordered, and then just move towards producing the iControlPad with various grips for different smartphones.

Hell, GPH will probably launch a new handheld before the Pandora is actually out properly.

I doubt the PSP2 will outsell the 3DS since its coming out much earlier and cheaper. I think it will lose to the 3DS like the PSP to DS.

rsuryase said:
I doubt the PSP2 will outsell the 3DS since its coming out much earlier and cheaper. I think it will lose to the 3DS like the PSP to DS.

I agree, in the gaming market releasing first is an advantage if you're the market leader, and a disadvantage if you aren't. One thing I wouldn't be 100% confident of is 3DS being much cheaper. 3DS strikes me as not really being extremely aggressively priced, costing a good 67% more than the DS did at launch. PSP2 won't be cheap tech for sure, but Sony has a reputation for selling gaming hardware at big losses initially, and at least this time they're not packaging any new optical drive with their platform. The biggest price draw on the PSP2 is probably going to be that high resolution OLED screen.

I could see PSP2 selling for $300, but I guess won't be surprised if it's $350. I wouldn't expect a higher price. If they somehow sell for $250 they'll make Nintendo look pretty bad.

The biggest advantage 3DS will have are the first party titles, which sell like crazy, especially on handhelds. But there'll probably still be room for both platforms, like there was for PSP. Full Android support would change things quite a bit.

monstercameron said:
my hatred of big business is stifled by teh specs of this beast, almost makes me want to to sell out to sony...weel see!
Thing is big business build quality are always better than small start-ups. Just take a look at Joojoo tablet, Notion-ink Adam Tablet, Pandora, etc.

Edit: Added Pandora but Exophase beat me to it.

rsuryase said:
Thing is big business build quality are always better than small start-ups. Just take a look at Joojoo tablet, Notion-ink Adam Tablet, etc.

Pandora? ;p Oh snap shouldn't have went there.

I'm actually curious if the psp2 is android based. That menu screen they showed was very gingerbread looking.

Exophase said:
rsuryase said:

I agree, in the gaming market releasing first is an advantage if you're the market leader, and a disadvantage if you aren't. One thing I wouldn't be 100% confident of is 3DS being much cheaper. 3DS strikes me as not really being extremely aggressively priced, costing a good 67% more than the DS did at launch. PSP2 won't be cheap tech for sure, but Sony has a reputation for selling gaming hardware at big losses initially, and at least this time they're not packaging any new optical drive with their platform. The biggest price draw on the PSP2 is probably going to be that high resolution OLED screen.

I could see PSP2 selling for $300, but I guess won't be surprised if it's $350. I wouldn't expect a higher price. If they somehow sell for $250 they'll make Nintendo look pretty bad.

The biggest advantage 3DS will have are the first party titles, which sell like crazy, especially on handhelds. But there'll probably still be room for both platforms, like there was for PSP. Full Android support would change things quite a bit.

Plus, the PSP2 is using more or less off the shelf hardware, so no $2 billion R+D costs this time to recoup.

The problem with the PSP series is the lack of a real "gimmick" to make playing on the portable desirable to me. So it may have graphics on par with home consoles, Why not just play on a home console then with a bigger screen and better sound. It seems that the point is for those that can't wait to get home and need a Killzone fix on the train etc.

The DS on the other hand had a gimmick of a second screen with touch feature, and now has the 3D screen that you can't get on any other gaming system unless you buy a 3DTV and wear those glasses.

The 3Ds is comparatively weak but has a feature that can't be done on home consoles yet very well.

The PSP2 will be nice and I might get one. It is a year or so away in the US, and it will be longer than that before it is cracked (then the firmware/hack wars with Sony insue). Also the propriatary Memory card format is pretty annoying. My guess is that it will be pretty expensive for large format. The OLED will be delicious though, too bad I couldn't convince Craig to put one in the Pandora as a second option (Pandora Elite edition?)

Back