Sorry If This Has Already Been Asked

Charlie3488

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Not bad with computers but having problems understanding the gp2x.

Just took delivery of the GP2x and don;t have a "Utility" icon on my menu (running version 3 firmware) so cannot change skins or run SDL updates

I've looked for how to change skins and just would like some help on how to do that...

Appreciate it

Charlie

FW 3.0 is pretty new (so no 1 has asked it) . i believe for now all the skins available only work up to 2.1.1. as for utility i think that become part of the "games" section but dont quote me on that.

Nope, animated skins work fine, but the others gives screwed up images which are not in the right position.

I would like to know more about creating animated skins. I still want to create one, like I promised.. And I think this is a nice firmware to start with :)

Nope, animated skins work fine, but the others gives screwed up images which are not in the right position.

I would like to know more about creating animated skins. I still want to create one, like I promised.. And I think this is a nice firmware to start with :)

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing a little more reading and wondered if there is an easy utility to downgrade the firware?

If not, what's the best way of going about it? I tried putting 2.0 in my SD card and turning on (and it was supposed to do something) but just boots as normal.

Any ideas? Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aas EvilDragon said:

Okay, here are the instructions. 1. Copy everything on a fresh FAT32 formatted SD-Card. 2. Insert the SD-Card and switch on. "Upgrading Firmware" will begin (this will upgrade the Bootloader U-Boot and the kernel). 3. When finished, turn off and switch on while pressing START + SELECT. This will start the NAND Update process. When finished, reboot and be happy :)

From Firmware 2.0.0 notes.

Pick your firmware version (some are incremental upgrades) put it on an empty SD card (there is some debate on the "empty" part) and boot. Then power down when finished and boot again with START and SELECT pressed. Make sure your batteries are fully charged or you are running on a power adapter.

I've used the skinmaker to make animated skins and it's quite easy. All the icon frames are in one png file and you just have add a few lines to the .ini file.

eg. for the main menu each icon is 60px X 80px. If you were doing an un-animated set of icons the png would need to be 480pixels wide and 160 pixels tall - this will provide 2 rows of 8 pixel, the top row for the unselected icons and the bottom for the selected icons. To make the icons animated you simply add rows below for the number of frames of the selected icons animation. eg if the selected icon had 8 frames of animation the png should contain 9 rows of icons in total........... I think that makes sense :unsure:

The next step is to add some lines to the skin.ini file to tell it to animate the icons.

[main]
icondelay=65
icon01frame=8
icon01loop=0

icon02frame=8
icon02loop=0

icon03frame=8
icon03loop=0

icon04frame=8
icon04loop=0

icon05frame=8
icon06loop=0

icon06frame=8
icon06loop=0

icon07frame=8
icon07loop=0

icon08frame=8
icon08loop=0

As you can see you set each icon individually, icon delay is the pause between frames, icon#frame is the number of frames in the animation and icon#loop is how many time the animation will loop (setting it to 0 makes it repeat indefinately).

Sorry if that wasn't very clear but hopefully you get the drift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back