Sound diversion

Norfen

Still Fresh
In the interest of being frugal, I built a 5.1 surround sound system out of old speakers I have lying around. I knew this cobbled together system wouldn't be perfect, but my speaker's cord isn't long enough to go to the proper side (right speaker is on my left side). Also, my center/sub speaker has only the sub and the right speaker working, which makes audio not work very well (can't hear center not sub speaker stuff). This problem is simpler than it sounds, but I need a fix. In essence, I need a way to control what channels sound goes through (merge or swap l/r channels). Also, as this is for games, it's gotta be for windows. Any ideas of a piece of software that can do this?

In the interest of being frugal, I built a 5.1 surround sound system out of old speakers I have lying around. I knew this cobbled together system wouldn't be perfect, but my speaker's cord isn't long enough to go to the proper side (right speaker is on my left side). Also, my center/sub speaker has only the sub and the right speaker working, which makes audio not work very well (can't hear center not sub speaker stuff). This problem is simpler than it sounds, but I need a fix. In essence, I need a way to control what channels sound goes through (merge or swap l/r channels). Also, as this is for games, it's gotta be for windows. Any ideas of a piece of software that can do this?
I can't think of any software to do this, but could you do it with potentiometers? I'm not quite sure I understand the problem completely.

Swapping channels can be done relatively easily (if you're splicing a system together from scrap anyways :p ) on the wire level (cut cable + reconnect (solder) the other way around.). Merging two channels is also relatively easy with a low-ohm potentiometer (or 50/50 mix with two constant resistors). Connect all grounds, the two different channels to the ends of the potentiometer, and the potentiometer output to the speaker (incl. an amplifier I assume).

Back