Speaker Frequency Response Range?

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
I've been working on a small title for the P&|A and I'm trying to decide if the music/sound effects should be put through a range compressor so it sounds a little better on small speakers. Or if I should leave the sound as-is for the benefit of users with good headphones?

I thought about doing the compression on-the-fly but decided I'd rather not waste the CPU cycles if I don't have to.

Is info on the frequency response range available? And your thoughts on the use of compression to accommodate the P&|as small speakers.

The spec would be interesting but nothing beat testing on the actual hardware. The hardware spec might be exaggerated for example.
Beside range compression you probably want the dynamic range to be quite narrow too.

I personally would prefer to have better quality sound when using headphone, which I believe most people will use.
If doing the compression on the fly is too much trouble why not simply ship 2 version of all sounds... takes a bit more space but why not.

Actually I am not sure if I would worry too much about the sound yet. Just leave the sound untouched for now and when you get a Pandora you test how it sounds. If it's not too bad I don't know if it's even worth adapting the sound for the speakers. Just my opinion though.

I agree with both previous posts, 2 sets of sounds would be quite optimal :)
Remember also that some people will use their TV-Out cable to output the sound to their home TV or Audio setup ;)
So I guess the only range compression should be done for the on-board speaker use, but better to test that on a working model than "close to the paper" :)

Back