Speccy Emulator

stuntpup

Still Fresh
tried the gp2x-spectrum emulator latest beta on the f200
and its well slow !
fiddling with the settings it only lets me alter the clock to 175
any way to overclock it higher ?

the wiki on this says it runs at full speed but i cant get that.

anyone running this at full speed on the f200 ?

ploppy son of ploppy said:
and its well slow !

It run at full speed in GP2X-F100... I hope Metalbrain can solve this problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
and its well slow !

Speed depends on what's being executed, because some Z80 instructions take more time to be emulated, but most games should be ok with the default settings. For those that need a few more speed, you can overclock it higher (up to 220 IIRC) using the Vol+ button while you're at the settings menu, and then save their custom speeds together with the keyboard profile.

I don't know if there's something different in the f200 that makes it run slower there. Maybe the MMU hack doesn't work anymore? Has anyone noticed something similar with the rest of emulators?

Metalbrain said:
Speed depends on what's being executed, because some Z80 instructions take more time to be emulated, but most games should be ok with the default settings. For those that need a few more speed, you can overclock it higher (up to 220 IIRC) using the Vol+ button while you're at the settings menu, and then save their custom speeds together with the keyboard profile.

I don't know if there's something different in the f200 that makes it run slower there. Maybe the MMU hack doesn't work anymore? Has anyone noticed something similar with the rest of emulators?
On the F200 all programs I have tried with the emulator had speed issues. I've read somewhere the F200 has problems with underclocking due to more power consumption by the touch screen.

Not seen this in another emulator, but I don't think I've used another emulator that underclocks the GP2X.

Your solution works great.

Threads don't come much more important than this. If the Speccy Emu is constantly under development I'm sure this issue will be resolved soon (I hope, anyway!).

b_o_b said:
Metalbrain said:
On the F200 all programs I have tried with the emulator had speed issues. I've read somewhere the F200 has problems with underclocking due to more power consumption by the touch screen.

Not seen this in another emulator, but I don't think I've used another emulator that underclocks the GP2X.

From the top of my head, I think Alexkidd2x and Picodrive also use underclocking, and MAME can underclock too, and those didn't have speed issues. :huh:

How many extra MHz's are needed on average to get the proper speed?

Metalbrain said:
b_o_b said:
Metalbrain said:

From the top of my head, I think Alexkidd2x and Picodrive also use underclocking, and MAME can underclock too, and those didn't have speed issues. :huh:

How many extra MHz's are needed on average to get the proper speed?

i quickly tested the overclock function taking it to 220 mhz .. tried manic miner tzx rom which played much better (the title screen music was almost recognizable !) .. but still slower than a real speccy.. maybe 250mhz would be close to the right speed, if thats any help.

Overclocking gets the games runs faster but you don´t get real speccy speed you got in a F100 at 175 mhz or so.

There is a problem and the solution is not OC , ithink the problem may be sound khz like in PockeSnes or MAME.

8250hz and 16500hz create problems in F200.

Metalbrain said:
Rivroner said:
There is a problem and the solution is not OC , ithink the problem may be sound khz like in PockeSnes or MAME.
Let's try that theory. GP2Xpectrum used a fixed frequency of 44100, let's try 22050.

http://www.speccy.org/metalbrain/gp2xpectrum_22050.zip

Just tried the 22050 version and its definitely quicker than the 1.5b1, using the default settings of 155khz and no contention.

Metalbrain said:
Rivroner said:
Let's try that theory. GP2Xpectrum used a fixed frequency of 44100, let's try 22050.

http://www.speccy.org/metalbrain/gp2xpectrum_22050.zip

Just tried the 22050 version and its definitely quicker than the 1.5b1, using the default settings of 155khz and no contention.

Yes, and with contention ON FS0 at 200 mhz the emulator seems fullspeed.At 220 the emulator is running quicker than in a real spectrum i think.

Excellent. :)

Rivroner said:
Yes, and with contention ON FS0 at 200 mhz the emulator seems fullspeed.At 220 the emulator is running quicker than in a real spectrum i think.
:huh:

It has speed control, so it shouldn't run faster than a real spectrum. But you never know with the F200. :rolleyes:

Are the extra 25MHz really necessary to get the proper speed?

You are right Metalbrain i have compared GP2X at 220 mhz with a Spectrum PC emulator and the speed is like the same (maybe a bit quicker in PC).

I am a CPC user not a Spectrum one :p :D

But i love Spectrum too :)

Rivroner said:
You are right Metalbrain i have compared GP2X at 220 mhz with a Spectrum PC emulator and the speed is like the same (maybe a bit quicker in PC).
Since a spectrum user has confirmed that 220MHz still isn't enough, here's a version that can be overclocked to 280MHz and starts at a 50MHz higher speed by default (225, 195, 205, 175).

http://www.speccy.org/metalbrain/gp2xpectrum_22050_280.zip

I'll keep investigating that abnormal slowness.

MetalBrain has found the problem in Speccy emulator, in a days he will release a new version that solves the problem and we will have again a 200 mhz (or much less) fullspeed FS0 44khz Spectrum emulator :)

While he releases the new version you can use the above version that can overclcok to 280 mhz :)

Thank you MetalBrain ;)

Rivroner said:
MetalBrain has found the problem in Speccy emulator, in a days he will release a new version that solves the problem and we will have again a 200 mhz (or much less) fullspeed FS0 44khz Spectrum emulator :)

While he releases the new version you can use the above version that can overclcok to 280 mhz :)

Thank you MetalBrain ;)
wow excellent news .. many thanks to MetalBrain !

Back