Spotify client

I dont mind giving out my sourceproject folders if you are so paranoid about security... but honestly its just the normal OpenSSL source, a whole bunch of audio library sourcecodes that this thing depends on and of course despotify itself...

Sadly I can't do much more than compile it for you guys as I have no way of using Spotify in my country.

I'll give it a try, if I can manage to get some sort of net connection on the pandora - my wifi is a bit borked, so I'll have to try net access over usb or something. Since I'm a bit on the noob side when it comes to mucking about with libraries and stuff - I do something like setting LD_LIBRARY to the lib directory, and then start the despotify executable? Is the stuff in share or include necessary, or can I get by with just the bin and lib directories?

Darn. My SD-card is VFAT and won't do symbolic links...*grumbles*

@Moxie: Yup, thats it. And about your VFAT SD Card... simple trick for "testing"...

cp -R -L foldercontainingsymlinks /media/yoursdcard

Auto-resolves symlinks to files... this gives you quite a bit of overhead as you will get a bunch of duplicate files, but for testing its enough.

Well, some success at least :)

I couldn't, so far, get despotify to run properly. I only had a VFAT SD-card, so it wouldn't do soft links, which kinda mucks up the lib directory. With some crafty renaming, I got as far as the "Error opening terminal: xterm" thing, though. No idea from there so far, but I'll make another try when I get somewhere with an ext2 SD, so that I can rule out lib stuff.

I did, however, try despotify-simple, which worked a lot better. I still got no sound (but, once again, the structures in the lib dir were far from ideal), but I could connect, list and view my playlists, and even start playing. The time counted up, but no sound...Still, it connects and behaves in a civilised way!

Despotify-simple is a very barebones client. No ncurses, just a prompt and a list of commands, so you type "list" to show your playlists, "list 8" to list the songs on a particular list, "play 5" to play the fifth song on there and so on. No eyecandy, but at least proof-of-concept.

I'd guess the terminal problems come down to something ncurses-ish - Could it be something like a missing terminal definition file or something like that? I don't think it is a problem actually running xterm, see, but a problem (for ncurses) accessing the terminal definition for the screen printing codes or whatever they are called these days.

The above paragraph might be completely obvious to everybody else, or completely wrong. I'm just doing some noob-flavoured guessing here :)

@Moxie: Yup, thats it. And about your VFAT SD Card... simple trick for "testing"...

cp -R -L foldercontainingsymlinks /media/yoursdcard

Auto-resolves symlinks to files...

Ooohhh - Instant bloat! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also found out that my desktop PC don't seem to like accessing a SD-card over USB at the same time as it is running net activity over USB. Interesting.

I'll see if I'll have time to recopy and try again before I have to leave here.

Exactly the same with exploded links, too. But, as I said, it connects and behaves.

As I have no way of testing Spotify related material, will you take my compiled files and fix / bundle them up?

IIts quite difficult to do such a job onehanded and blindfolded like this.

Coldbird, I'm afraid my coding and bugfixing skills are, um...a wee bit crap, really. When things work I could possibly pnd things together, but I have no idea what to do about things like ncurses or c coding or whatever, I'm afraid. I can test and report.

Sebt, that looks interesting!

sebt3 made a few changes last night and updated the pnd at that link and now this works very well! previously it launched and logged in if you had a premium account but music didnt start but now it plays just fine!

think im gonna be listening to this everywhere i go! the only thing that lets it down is that the frontend kinda sucks, i wonder if it could be spruced up a little

It works! But is it possible to get the offline function?
someone in irc earlier said it was only available on the PC and iPhone versions :-/
I know that, I have Spotify premium on my computer and made my music avaiable offline. I just wonder that could work on the pandora too..

Edit: Oh, need to learn to read twice :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I also can't test this (I only have one of the very early 'free' accounts which is unlimited).

I'm sort of torn about upgrading, but I do want to see how it works. Could anyone do a review?

I also can't test this (I only have one of the very early 'free' accounts which is unlimited).

I'm sort of torn about upgrading, but I do want to see how it works. Could anyone do a review?

You could borrow my account. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you can be trusted!

short of someone becoming a spotify hacker i dont see free accounts working on the pandora any time soon. certainly not without some kind of WINE or similar thing going on

Back