Squidgesnes 0.35

For now I've dropped back to 0.34.

It's seems that all three versions of 0.35 work for a couple of minutes then exit back to the GP2X menu. After restarting squidgesnes if I try to run a rom it loads and then exits back to the GP2X menu again. A couple of times it's just hung with the snes skin and nothing else. Tried it without script to launch overclocked as well as with. Deleted all files and copied over to a freshly formatted SD card, no dice. Started without a ssnes.cfg and ended up with the same outcome.

One observation I made of the 0.35 TV-Out before being denied any more use of it was that side scrolling images are perfect; however vertical scroll induces a wave effect as you can see around eight bars/segments of the screen being drawn. Hard to describe but very apparent when you see it.

It’s too late in the evening for me to try anymore attempts. In the morning I shall try again and it looks like Commander Keen will be added to my SD card.

Thanks to Tobriand for the workaround and Morwynd for the link. :D

this all sounds very weird...i tried a few roms just to test it out and had no problems. i'm on the fast boot firmware. i have the absolute path option checked if it makes a difference. also i did not do a clean install but just overwrote the gpe and cfg files.

Nice one, Squidge!
If I didn't have to be paying for so much other stuff at the moment (such as £900 for residence fees :( ), then I would donate to you without hesitation!
*resumes playing Chrono Trigger*
And just so you know, in case you still consider this release only sort-of-public, I'm having no problems running it. (save the option for transhacking rendering some things transparent that it shouldn't do) I'm using shite old FW1.0.1, still :p

DJprocyon posted on Feb 21 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
Nice one, Squidge!
If I didn't have to be paying for so much other stuff at the moment (such as £900 for residence fees :( ), then I would donate to you without hesitation!
this came off as extremely pretentious to me, and with all due respect (i dont mean to start a fight), but I think you can spare 10 bucks or whatever to say thank you as you play your portable chrono trigger ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 22 2006 at 02:51 AM said:
DJprocyon posted on Feb 21 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
Nice one, Squidge!
this came off as extremely pretentious to me, and with all due respect (i dont mean to start a fight), but I think you can spare 10 bucks or whatever to say thank you as you play your portable chrono trigger ;)

Okay, add to that £75 for a mandatory visit to London as part of my course, £95 I owe to my parents, fuck knows how much for flights to Cardiff for a gig I am playing, and a bank balance that currently stands at around £1065, and will not be topped up at any point soon. Oh yeah, and all that other stuff like food and travel. :p
I'm sorry if I seem pretentious, but I am not in a great financial situation at the moment. I will donate when finances are a bit sounder.

i dont really want to get involved, but how was that pretentious? he could have just said nothing and left it at that. instead he made a point of saying that he felt the software was worth paying for, despite the fact that it was made available for free. just my 2c

Well, I have no idea what would be in CloneKeen that would cause this thing not to crash. Unless it just needs the SDL audio stuff to be initialized before it works for some reason. Meh.

Squidge, you are da man! This is the 1st Emu/game(s) I've been able to get to run on my brand new out-of-the-box GP2X! :D

Firmware 1.2.1
Used CPU/LCD Tweaker to get the CPU hummin' to 280 (anything higher crashes :( ....I got a lazy one! :lol: )

Volume control works a treat (a little slang I've picked up from the Europeans ;) )!

Very playable w/sound and 1 Frameskip! All this goodness and this machine isn't even, what, 3 or 4 months old yet? Once everything is optimized and tweaked in time, I have NO doubts that you will nail this, Squidge!

I remember how when the SNES 1st came out with it's 3.something mHz CPU, and R-Type was crawling how everybody was saying then how nothing could be run decently with that CPU, then in about a year, thanks to clever programmers like yourself, it was even able to keep up with Sega's "Blast Processing" (whatta joke! :lol: )!!

You WILL be seeing some donations from me very shortly, Mr. Squidge. Jolly good show indeed!

Knoxximus posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:52 AM said:
Volume control works a treat (a little slang I've picked up from the Europeans ;) )!
hehe I'd stay away as I tried to use the word 'wank' and got flamed for incorrect usages :lol:

Anyway, Im playing aero the acrobat and the new volume control kicks ass! Im very pleased squidge thanks so much.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 22 2006 at 04:19 PM said:
Knoxximus posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:52 AM said:
hehe I'd stay away as I tried to use the word 'wank' and got flamed for incorrect usages :lol:

Anyway, Im playing aero the acrobat and the new volume control kicks ass! Im very pleased squidge thanks so much.
Yeah, don't use our slang, it may kick ass, but it's ours, yer bunch of scobies.

Hey, hey now.....I used it correctly, so leave "US" be.....this isn't about international borders.....it's about a mutual love and respect for videogames. B)

Besides, I have friends who reside in England and GB, so I'm up on it.

Hey, speaking of "squidgesnes 0.35", a wierd thing is happening ... It runs fine for me; just deleted the old folder, and installed fresh ... 1.2.0 FW ..

.. and get this; for some reason, I can run it via scripts! (didn't work before) NICE!!

One strange issue I found:

If you try to load SimEarth when you first start the emu, it just hangs on the SNES console screen and freezes .... BUT, if you load some other ROM first (in my case, I used E.V.O.) then exit, and load SimEarth, it runs just fine :blink:

I haven't tried the transhack thingy, but man, is the vol. control a welcome feature!! Awesome work squidge B)

It works great for me....

BTW, is there any way I can select the ROMs without turning off the device?

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but the bug with missing sprites seems to be fixed on mine. When I played SMW whenever he was on the very bottom of the screen ducking he would disapear / get cut off. Doesnt seem to happen anymore.

Only thing I notice wrong is squidgesnes tends to slow down and speed up depending on what is going on. Is there a way to help this?

Great program btw, DrMDx and Squidge is the thinking man's brad pitt and angelina jolie

*edit*
Dont know who wants to be jolie or pitt, but I wasnt refering either to either :p

holycow90 posted on Feb 23 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but the bug with missing sprites seems to be fixed on mine. When I played SMW whenever he was on the very bottom of the screen ducking he would disapear / get cut off. Doesnt seem to happen anymore.

Only thing I notice wrong is squidgesnes tends to slow down and speed up depending on what is going on. Is there a way to help this?

Great program btw, DrMDx and Squidge is the thinking man's brad pitt and angelina jolie

*edit*
Dont know who wants to be jolie or pitt, but I wasnt refering either to either :p
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=16147&hl=

Back