Stand Alone Divx Players

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
I am just wondering how good these things could really perform. I mean i had a 1 Ghz p-III that couldn't really play a lot of my higher quality xvid and divx files. It would get all jumpy. So i don't think these could do it either. But if they could i would buy a couple. That would be the ideal setup for me. Has anyone tried something like these? Any thoughts on how well they might work?

Link1

Link2

Link3

I know i could convert them down but thats too much work for what i want. I currently have a full size PC by my main tv to play all my shows. This would be nice if it actually works with 90% of my files.

I bought my mother one of those, and it works with most media no problem. The only ones I have problems with are the HD ones, it doesn't downconvert, and I don't have it connected by component, the sound works, so I imagine it's working but not able to display it. But yeah, they're quite good, if you're in the UK, ebuyer has a nice one with a card reader and USB slot, saves on discs. I haven't really tried any videos with high amounts of B-frames, I've only really been using scene releases. Anyway, good luck.

Just realized this should probably be in the off topic section. Sorry about that. Anyway, I have a dvd player that will play most of my show just fine but not the high quality ones. I dont really know how to describe how high the quality of them is. But for example the highest quality i have is a 1 hour show with commercials removed (so about 45 minutes) and they are ~700mb. They are very jittery on playback in my dvd player. The same was true with my old p-III 1ghz computer. I think i know what you mean by scene release and if i do then thats the same releases i am watching. I guess i could just order the cheapest one and see if it works but i dont have too much cash these days.

I have one from this site----->HERE
check the media centre hard drives. I got the 500gb one but im sure you can buy them without a hard drive and add your own. It plays most things i have tryed on it but some things do have big black borders that im not sure if you can get rid of them but still it is great !
My pc sits next to my tv but if im in my bed it makes too much noise so now i can turn my pc off and put this on and its silent and watch all my films and stuff :).
I just seen they have a new one wich can record from the tv or dvd or other stuff so i migth buy one of them too :p

I could play SD-size divx/xvids on a P2 400 without any stuttering, so either you're using some OS and/or player that generates mountains of overhead or your videos are encoded at very high resolutions.

ive used geexbox before (media center os) on a pc with a 800mhz via c3 cpu and 128mb ram, seemed to run divx/xvid's fine but was a bit stuttery with dvd's

i bought the first pmp linked (link 1) to try, supposedly it has Usb host so an external hard disk should be possible , i was looking at divx dvd players a while back with SD/Usb slots) so i could watch a film without burning a dvd/cd but this seems much better (no dvd laser to wear out).

Samba Pa Ti said:
i bought the first pmp linked (link 1) to try, supposedly it has Usb host so an external hard disk should be possible , i was looking at divx dvd players a while back with SD/Usb slots) so i could watch a film without burning a dvd/cd but this seems much better (no dvd laser to wear out).
Sweet. Let me know how it works when you get it in 3 weeks or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
CABBAGES said:
It plays most things i have tryed on it but some things do have big black borders that im not sure if you can get rid of them but still it is great !
Big black borders as in the letterboxing from wide screen videos?

nickspoon said:
Xbox with XBMC. :wub:
Too big, too expensive, too hard to mod. For me at least. Most importantly is that its too big. I want something that is easy to take with me on trips.

Ah, right. Yes, it is big. But not expensive - why, I got my Xbox for only £20. With XMBC, it's worth its weight in gold (which is a lot of gold, bloody heavy thing).

nickspoon said:
Ah, right. Yes, it is big. But not expensive - why, I got my Xbox for only £20. With XMBC, it's worth its weight in gold (which is a lot of gold, bloody heavy thing).
20!?

Where?

nickspoon said:
Can it play hd video?

just get that one i was talking about its great !
yes i mean letterboxing from wide screen videos but sometimes its very big black borders. Im not sure why but maybe its coz im using the component cable maybe i should try the composite cable or something. Most things are in full screen really but quite a few films have the big black borders. maybe i will make a video to show you what i mean.

Nova said:
nickspoon said:
20!?

Where?

eBay.

The Xbox, without a CPU mod, can't decode HD video. It can upscale to HD just fine, but it doesn't have the processing power to play HD - a 733MHz processor is below the requirements for that; 2.4GHz is recommended.

Heres a video ------>HERE Of my HDD Media player thing :D. 500gb of old tv shows cartoons and films and stuff :p

CABBAGES said:
just get that one i was talking about its great !
yes i mean letterboxing from wide screen videos but sometimes its very big black borders. Im not sure why but maybe its coz im using the component cable maybe i should try the composite cable or something. Most things are in full screen really but quite a few films have the big black borders. maybe i will make a video to show you what i mean.
thats normal, if videos have been ripped from dvd (and resized) they are likely to be in the wrong aspect ratio or a stretched ratio, this looks worst when 221:100 AR videos get played back on 16:9 tv's (big black bars)

xbox media center can alter most of this and make it look right (it can remove black bars and force aspect ratios) i doubt divx dvd players have this resizing function (same with standalone divx players i guess),
i had a divx dvd player a while ago that stopped working and that didnt have any resizing functions, what i had to do was go to the tv's options and select "cinema" mode which is meant to stretch 221:100 into 16:9 (remove the black bars) only problem with this is its a low quality resize (since it just zooms in on the video).

Back