Star Craft

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
I'm wondering, how does it work? I've been told emus like WinE doesn't work for emulating different processors, and Qemu, as far as I know, only emulates full OSs, not single priograms. So, what is Starcraft.pnd using? Because I'd really like an app that can emulate single Windows programs. That, and I'd love to play Diablo 2 on this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What we have for  the Pandora is a native version of Starcraft.. No emulation is involved. Notaz did a static recompilation of the Starcraft Binary files and then using an ARM implementation of Wine to handle all the windows hooks.. This took a ton of effort as it took months for him to complete this process. It's not a quick and easy method of getting windows applications to work with the Pandora. Notaz claimed in his post that Diablo 2 would be 3 times the effort to get working than StarCraft and that took 4-5 months of his time and not many here has Notaz's skills to do this. 

I'm wondering, how does it work? I've been told emus like WinE doesn't work for emulating different processors, and Qemu, as far as I know, only emulates full OSs, not single priograms. So, what is Starcraft.pnd using? Because I'd really like an app that can emulate single Windows programs. That, and I'd love to play Diablo 2 on this thing.
Read this: http://pandoralive.info/?p=3089

Oh. So, there's no emulator that runs just a single executable out there? Darn. There's a few small programs I wanted to use on Pandora.

Oh. So, there's no emulator that runs just a single executable out there? Darn. There's a few small programs I wanted to use on Pandora.
There's dosbox for old PC games (DOS ones) if not you can use Qemu to emulate a windows PC but it's quite slow but you can run a few old games. 

Small programs would most likely be much easier to recompile than a full blown game, what do you have in mind?

Mostly things like MS Paint XP, which is what I most often use for pixel art, and some small desktop games, like Ski Free, Windows Golf, The Incredible Machine 3, Micro Man, games like that. Is there a guide anywhere for recompiling Windows apps for Linux ARM?

I think that at the very least you'll need an excellent reading knowledge of x86 asm, enough to be able to recognise sequences of instructions and create C versions of those routines.

So get yourself a disassembler and have at it :)

D.

Well, for the wXP version of paint, ReactOS paint should be a close enough clone? Easier to compile against winelib anyway, since the sources are available.

I dunno, I've tried a lot of MS Paint clones, and none of them really felt right. Not to mention some of them forced AA, so pixel art was impossible with them.

What's a good disassembler to get started with?

I dunno, I've tried a lot of MS Paint clones, and none of them really felt right. Not to mention some of them forced AA, so pixel art was impossible with them.

What's a good disassembler to get started with?
At first, I'd suggest you (if you have no ASM knowledge) to learn ARM assembly as you have to right machine to do that. Also ARM ASM is more clean vs x86, so it will be easier to start with.

At first, I'd suggest you (if you have no ASM knowledge) to learn ARM assembly as you have to right machine to do that. Also ARM ASM is more clean vs x86, so it will be easier to start with.
To do what he wants, one need to be x86 ASM fluent. ARM ASM in this case is completly useless

It's as if somebody said "how can I win the tour de france?" and people suggest "buy a bicycle".  Don't set people up for failure, please.

The only people I know who have disassembled and rewritten X86 games for Pandora are M-HT and Notaz. Anyone else I'm missing?

It's as if somebody said "how can I win the tour de france?" and people suggest "buy a bicycle".  Don't set people up for failure, please.
If you already knew that the guy was not capable, why did you not speak up?

D.

You know, that attitude really annoys me. If you don't encourage people, they probably won't even try. You have no idea whether they are capable or not - they might not be at this very minute, but you have no idea what aptitude they have for that sort of thing.
As for your "Tour de France" comment, the answer is buy a bicycle and train hard. You might not win it the next year, but if you train long and hard enough, there's no reason you couldn't win it 5-10 years down the line

You know, that attitude really annoys me. If you don't encourage people, they probably won't even try. You have no idea whether they are capable or not - they might not be at this very minute, but you have no idea what aptitude they have for that sort of thing.

As for your "Tour de France" comment, the answer is buy a bicycle and train hard. You might not win it the next year, but if you train long and hard enough, there's no reason you couldn't win it 5-10 years down the line
Except for physical limitations. Not everybody can get lung capacity or muscle-weight ratios that put them at the top of their game like some Olympic athletes. Of course, you can get a long way with sheer hard work, and there's no shame in coming, say 40th in the Tour De France. It's more of an achievement than most of us will make.

Likewise, mental capacity and aptitude. You can get a long way with hard work, concentration and sheer-bloody mindedness, but not everybody will become an amazing software hacker like some of the chaps contributing to the Pandora scene. Again, no harm in trying, though!

Except for physical limitations. Not everybody can get lung capacity or muscle-weight ratios that put them at the top of their game like some Olympic athletes. Of course, you can get a long way with sheer hard work, and there's no shame in coming, say 40th in the Tour De France. It's more of an achievement than most of us will make.
Learn about this man story : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_LavoieHe have been told all his youth that he worth nothing at sport (being a little fat) yet years later he won the Hawaï ironman, broke a world record at it...

Back