Starfighter

Mr 2X

Website
lostsite.altervista.org
Starfighter-gp2x is a GP2X port of Project:Starfighter, a SDL game by Stephen Sweeney and Richard Sweeney of Parallel Realities. The game is functional, but it needs to be adjusted from it's current 800x600 resolution down to 320x240, or even 640x480 for both a speed increase and to eliminate downsampling artifacts. I'll be posting the source as well if anyone feels like tackling the graphics adjustments, I don't even know where to get started with them.

Comment of the porter, azmodean

Game: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,2319
Source: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,2320

It's a great game B) Is there anyone that wants to fix/improve this port ? :p :rolleyes:

Anyone know this game well? The description on Wikipedia reminds me of Star Control.

I read about the Xbox port and they also had trouble with the fonts being unreadable due to scaling issues. Their solution was to redo the fonts to make them readable without changing the resolution of the entire game.

This might be an option for the GP2X.

imhotep said:
I read about the Xbox port and they also had trouble with the fonts being unreadable due to scaling issues. Their solution was to redo the fonts to make them readable without changing the resolution of the entire game.

This might be an option for the GP2X.
That's what I had to do with GravityForce2X. The other thing was to reduce the view port size, not scale the game objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr said:
The other thing was to reduce the view port size, not scale the game objects.
That's a cool idea.

Yes, I found this and thought it was a superb game. I wish I could actually see what's going on though :( . I would be very happy if this was fixed!

Hi i'm working on Project Starfighter porting... :rolleyes:

My work is based on precedent AZMODEAN port available at this
address Gp2x Archive.

Also i added some mods made by Markus Wolf , autor of a modded and improved version of this game for windows ... see it at Webpage.

The port is not completed yet ...
but is playable at decent speed with sound and music... :gp2x

'Farox' said:
Hi i'm working on Project Starfighter porting... :rolleyes:

My work is based on precedent AZMODEAN port available at this
address Gp2x Archive.

Also i added some mods made by Markus Wolf , autor of a modded and improved version of this game for windows ... see it at Webpage.

The port is not completed yet ...
but is playable at decent speed with sound and music... :gp2x

I'm loving what I see! Keep up the great work Farox! :D

Glad to see someone picking this up, I was able to get a working port pretty easily, but due to the resizing artifacts "playable" might be a bit of a stretch. The main reason I stopped working on it was that the path forward that I could see was manually resizing the sprites, and I'm completely hopeless when it comes to art assets. Wish I'd thought of shrinking the viewport when I was working on it, might have been able to do a reasonable port in that case.

Native resolution for the game is 800x600, gp2x resolution is 320x240, If you took the viewport on the gp2x down to 200x150 it would be exactly quarter resolution, which should remove the artifacts at the cost of making the image quite small.

<re-reads comments> oh! shrink the game's viewport, not the systems...

I'm not sure of that on this game, the way the gameplay works already there is a bit of an issue with tracking offscreen enemies, which would be exacerbated by reducing the size of the viewport. On the other hand it would probably still be better than the text and sprite artifacts.

P.S. if you have any questions about the code, PM me. I can probably give some insight, would just take some digging around in the code some, but I'm pretty sure it would come back to me pretty quickly.

P.S. if you have any questions about the code, PM me. I can probably give some insight, would just take some digging around in the code some, but I'm pretty sure it would come back to me pretty quickly.

Thank's ..you have made a good work porting this game in particular on the button , and if i need help ...i will contact for sure... ;)

My changes are :
Resolution changed from 800*600 ---> 320*240
Resizing of most of gfx image..
The engine now use Music and Sound fx .
Added the possibility to change the volume (of the music only ..for now) ( mod by me )
Font is bitmap image ...so i rescaled down this image ...the solution is not the best...
but for now is functional...maybe we can switch to Freetype font ?
Implemented a retry button on game over (mod by Markus Wolf )
Shifted intro when NEW Game is selected (mod by Markus Wolf )
added most (but not all ...now ) fix by Markus Wolf

Also i have made a beta....the game is functional but some menu is not finished ...also some
graphics position is not well fixed ..

Test it and let me know your impression..

http://www.steekr.com/n/50-17/share/LNK2467499b2c025b145/

Seems nobody here , have time to test my port ... :rolleyes:

Tried it out... very playable. :)

My main gripe is the menus in-between missions. Some of the buttons and their hit area are not properly aligned, making it hard to hit them, as well as some of the menus & text are overlapping each other. Furthermore, moving the cursor is hard; there is no diagonal movements, and it's a bit inaccurate. (Touchscreen would be nice.) The fonts could also use some work.

Good work so far, and hope it gets improved. :D

The "no diagonal movement" thing is my fault, I'll see about making a patch to correct that and send it to Farox. I have a F100, so I can't test anything touchscreen related though :p

The other part sounds like a resizing issue.

Thank's for testing it.. :)

My main gripe is the menus in-between missions

Yes this is the part of the game less optimized ....
For diagonal movements ...there isn't on original game (played with keyboard ... B) ) but if
Azmodean could make a patch to resolve...it will be amazing..(feel free to send to me ...thank's)
For touchscreen ...i don't know ...i have a F200 but implementing it it's not so easy (for me )....i'm open to others help ...

Font : when i finish the other part ...i want to experiment with SDL_font...

Thank's to all...

Nice, the resized graphics look great, it's what it's supposed to look like.
I'm digging out my project folder now and I'll see about at least adding diagonal movement on the menus,possibly slow it down some too, cursor movement seems a bit fast.

Ok, Threw together a patch to fix the diagonal cases.
Grab it at http://azmodean.polehammer.com/starfighter_mouse_patch.zip
The zip file includes a patch file and a copy of the new cpp file. If you don't know how to use patches, just compare the oldfile with the new one and make the changes. If there are too many differences you can just send me your version of players.cpp and I'll make a merged version and send it back to you.

I realized at the last minute that I don't have a gp2x compilation toolchain set up, so it'll take me a while to be able to test it myself. Hopefully it'll just work, and I won't need to. :D

P.S. man, bbcode is messed up on the boards too.

Oh yea, one comment. When you exit from the galaxy menu it just restarts the game, not sure if the fix for this would be in the .gpe or in the game executable.

'azmodean' said:
Ok, Threw together a patch to fix the diagonal cases.
Grab it at http://azmodean.polehammer.com/starfighter_mouse_patch.zip
The zip file includes a patch file and a copy of the new cpp file. If you don''t know how to use patches, just compare the oldfile with the new one and make the changes. If there are too many differences you can just send me your version of players.cpp and I''ll make a merged version and send it back to you.

I realized at the last minute that I don''t have a gp2x compilation toolchain set up, so it''ll take me a while to be able to test it myself. Hopefully it''ll just work, and I won''t need to. :D

P.S. man, bbcode is messed up on the boards too.

OK i download it ..thank's :)
I don't know how to use Patches , but comparing the 2 files is not so difficult..

I use Code::Block and toolchain taken from the Archive at this link
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,2295

plus i use a development version of SDL libs ...search on this forum....
If you want to recompile yourself ...i will post the sources...let me know ....otherwise the source will be available when the port is finished.

Oh yea, one comment. When you exit from the galaxy menu it just restarts the game, not sure if the fix for this would be in the .gpe or in the game executable.

It's normal ...
When a mission is completed to go at next level click on first icon (on the left ..) if for the planet selected there isn't a new mission , then the first icon is not present...to continue select a new planet first and now the icon will be visible ...

Back