Start charging on command line? (Charging doesn't start automatically; SZ 1.53)

Now that was interesting...
Updating the OS does not seem to have solved the problem.
cycling /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_ac/enable to 0 and back to 1 did in fact trigger the charging process to activate and remain active, however it was only drawing ~1100mW as input, and the battery continued to discharge. As soon as I unplugged the usb hub though the input shot back up to ~5700mW.

The entire time it was discharging the dmesg log was filled with messages like this:
Code:
[ 6330.595581] twl4030_bci_interrupt: 8 callbacks suppressed
[ 6330.595611] twl4030_bci twl4030_bci: battery temperature out of range
[ 6330.644439] twl4030_bci twl4030_bci: battery temperature out of range
The messages stopped once the charge cycle began.
System info seems to have no trouble reading the battery temperature though which hovered around 21 degrees while discharging and is currently hovering at around 31 degrees.

-Neelix

That's not good, the message is printed when twl4030 fires an interrupt, not by some software decision. The temperature sysinfo reports is from a different chip, so the connection to that monitoring chip is fine, but perhaps not to the charger. If your pandora works without a battery, you may try that, otherwise you'll probably need a powered hub.

Funny enough I've been going through something similar, not sure this will help any, but figured I'd share it.

The other day I plugged my Pandora into an old 17 year old Dell I was hoping to transfer files to, I didn't realize the USB port on that laptop was physically broken and I think I fried something. So I'm getting that exact same error message. I can't charge on the OTG port anymore nor any of the typical things on it any more. Yesterday I spent a little time checking out the schematic and tracing back something that may have fried, but not sure what it was. I put it back together, and no surprise I still saw the same issue.

However while writing this I wanted to try a few things, so I just tried it again on a dumb AC charger and I was getting a VBUS over voltage error, but not the battery temperature out of range errors I was seeing yesterday, however I never tried an AC charger until now. I then plugged it into my laptop, it's not charging, but I'm not seeing the VBUS over voltage error nor the battery out of temp error, I fire up the SD USB Mass Storage script and sure enough it works. However I plug in my Mouse with the OTG adapter I always use when playing mouse friendly games, it still doesn't work. but get this:
Code:
VBUS_ERROR in a_idle (80, f0, <SessEnd), retry #0, port1 00000100

I'm fairly skilled in soldering, but not sure I'd want to tackle replacing any those components in the area of that OTG port... .

It's mostly impossible for me to recharge the battery on Summer because of that temperature warning... it starts complaining after 1 minute even if the Pandora was shut off for the entire night... I must put fans under it to make it start charging again

VBUS_ERROR in a_idle (80, f0, <SessEnd), retry #0, port1 00000100
This one is also an interrupt from the chip, "VBus drops below the VBus valid threshold during a session". I guess this means the regulator driving VBUS is fried, which unfortunately sits inside the PMIC. A crude hack would be to cut the VBUS trace and route a wire from the big USB port, and then set /proc/pandora/always_enable_5v , but the host controller in OMAP may still refuse to work because it won't be able to sense VBUS...

I think I've also seen the temperature thing, and remember it aborts charging by itself (not a software decision), no idea why it has such a tendency to think it's overheating...

I guess this means the regulator driving VBUS is fried, which unfortunately sits inside the PMIC.
Ouch then it's what I feared, chances of successfully replacing that chip is near zero. That VBUS trace hack got me interested, but not sure I'm that motivated yet, the OTG Mass Storage still seems to work and that really is the only feature I use often, well outside of charging, but I got the barrel jack for that.

My crude hack is also rather unsafe, if you forget and plug it to a PC, something will likely fry again with both sides trying to supply 5V.

That's not good, the message is printed when twl4030 fires an interrupt, not by some software decision. The temperature sysinfo reports is from a different chip, so the connection to that monitoring chip is fine, but perhaps not to the charger. If your pandora works without a battery, you may try that, otherwise you'll probably need a powered hub.
Hrm... I'm running sans battery for now. Given the swollen state of the battery I'm wondering if the battery itself is the problem. I'm thinking of ordering a new one from ED, and see how it goes with a different battery.

-Neelix

Back