Start To Make You Own Software And Games

hughes37

Still Fresh
Ok I am a newbee were programing is concerned last time was on the zx spectrum 48k LOL , I know that the gp2x is Linux based and I know almost every users use CC+ or somethink else.

What I want to know is how can i get started. Ie how can do a very simple program ie like just puting you name on the screen e.t.c. playing around with text and doing a very simple space invader.

Now I do not know anything about programing in cc+ I do have a spare computer do i need to be running linux on that machine or will my main computer work ok runing windows vista ( I recomend vista it amazing peace of software)

what do i need so i can start playing around and program the gp2x. as i love to have a go

thx

Go to FenixOnFire

Fenix is a nice simple language with C-like syntax, oriented on game programming. It's very easy to get started with, and you get fast results with little work. Try it out, there's also a Fenix forum if you have Fenix-specific questions.

I used Fenix a year and a half ago, and even though I knew very little programming, I was able to release a playable space shooter in a matter of days. Hehe here it is, ah nostalgia :') http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,929

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Or try Glbasic There is a turtorial that i saw and it helped me type stuff on the screen. It looks prety good I might even get it. Try out the trial demo thing first.

Shifty posted on Feb 19 2007 at 04:30 PM said:
Or try Glbasic There is a turtorial that i saw and it helped me type stuff on the screen. It looks prety good I might even get it. Try out the trial demo thing first.

ok do any of the apps have problems ie it to much is going on the screen it will slow down e.t.c. can you convert and of this into code like a complier to speed this up e.t.c or am i missing the point.

also are there any books or web site to learn from any source code i can mess about with

Where are the downloads nesesary to begin in Fenix? There is a page linked to in the tutorial I'm using, but the page is dead.
Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Also, everything on FenixOnFire seems to be written for the GP32. Is there anything different for using Fenix with GP2X?

No, the coding and compiling are the same, only the launcher script is different. (the script is about 3 lines if I'm not mistaken :)

- Alex

hughes37 posted on Feb 19 2007 at 04:19 PM said:
Now I do not know anything about programing in cc+ I do have a spare computer do i need to be running linux on that machine or will my main computer work ok runing windows vista ( I recomend vista it amazing peace of software)

Vista is EEEEvil. Boycott it now. It is loaded with DRM and will audit all of your software. If it finds something it thinks is pirated it will rat you out and close down your computer. Fuck that :angry:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28/vista_drm_analysis/

DaveC posted on Feb 20 2007 at 07:04 PM said:
Vista is EEEEvil. Boycott it now. It is loaded with DRM and will audit all of your software. If it finds something it thinks is pirated it will rat you out and close down your computer. Fuck that :angry:

What?

DaveC posted on Feb 20 2007 at 01:04 PM said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28/vista_drm_analysis/
Not to mention that it brings nothing new to the table except demands for higher specs and a spicy price tag.

- Alex

There's a great set of intros to SDL (the library used on the GP2X) here:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

Although some C (it's actually C++ but simple enough to not have to worry about the++ bit) knowledge is assumed, which I'm a bit rusty on but have picked up the general jist.

HTH

Back