Status Of Psx4gp2x Work Being Done :)

How are 2D games with this new version (other than Castlevania: SOTN)? Could somebody please put up some videos of some 2D RPGs or maybe a Mega Man X game?

Mega Man X6 is too slow I hear.
A new version is about to come out with working memory card support (I personally tested it this time). And I changed the default settings as well as a bunch of bug fixes. The bug fixes need to be optimized though, so it's a bit slower by a frame or two.

Raiden Project is amazingly fun! I hear Strider 2 is good as well. :)

Don't know. :p

http://www.zodttd.com/psx4all has been updated with build 07 12 07 of psx4gp2x. BE SURE TO OVERWRITE YOUR *.mcr files with the ones included with this build! OTHERWISE MEMORY CARDS WONT WORK!

Lot's of different stuff changed, and better compatibility. Try it out.

My god Zod do you ever sleep??

If we need to reset everytime we change cycles wouldnt it be better to have the cycle change option on the menu??

yes! Very very cool! Too bad I can only clock to 240 mhz... I hope there will be more optimizations so I can enjoy games a little faster aswell ;-)

Hi zodttd was just testing out this build. There's definitely been some major improvements over a few months ago.

Anyway I was just testing Spyro and Worms Armageddon. It seems Spyro is best on 1cycle setting, 100% PSX clock, (At 250mhz no tweaks).

Worms Armageddon seemed best on 2-3 cycles, getting between 10-15 fps. Oddly upping the psx clock to 130% seems to give some bit extra performance.

The memory cards are sort of working now. Saves seem not to be committed, but I can get past the loading screens without having to downclock to 7% or so.

Sound is iffy, but in worms, if you switch the music off you can hear their voices with only minor distortion. Worms is totally playable, so if I want to show off psx on gp2x... Can't wait to see what more might come.

if anyone wants to see another game running basically fullspeed, try command and conquer: red alert! So many people wanted that on the gp2x and now it's possible. I have been playing that yesterday night with the 7/11/7 build and it ran perfect!

Doh! memory card saves aren't sticking?! I'll double check. Thanks for the heads up.

Got die hard trilogy working with a Cycle of 6 . Gonna try some other cycles to see if it works with anything else. Doesnt work with 3 or lower

---anything lower than a cycle of 5 and the GP2X locks up and needs a reset

hey Zod what do you mean by 'restarting the game after changing the cycle?

I guess going in the menu, then back in the game isn't enough? we have to load a new game (which may be the same ISO lol)?

*edit* yeah! it is sooo cool to see SotN running without bugs!!! you're a god :)

reiboul said:
hey Zod what do you mean by 'restarting the game after changing the cycle?

I guess going in the menu, then back in the game isn't enough? we have to load a new game (which may be the same ISO lol)?

*edit* yeah! it is sooo cool to see SotN running without bugs!!! you're a god :)
Looks like Castlevania runs best with cycle set to 1. It's about half the speed (30fps in some areas with no 3D, 34 in the small area between levels, sound off, interlace 0)

i had a quick test with Tekken 3, it seems that the lower the cycle, the smoother the game!

Higher cycle might gives much better framerates, but the game still looks much slower :)

Wipeout is also faster with lower cycle

However, i did not verify if mem cards were still working :( i have to go so I can't do further testing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If some sort of volume adjust could be added, or at least the default lowered, that would be awesome, because I generally play with my thumbs over the speakers just to dampen it right now at night. Don't want to disturb my family.

Shadowsithe said:
If some sort of volume adjust could be added, or at least the default lowered, that would be awesome, because I generally play with my thumbs over the speakers just to dampen it right now at night. Don't want to disturb my family.

Theres a nice headphone socket on the top of the gp2x :lol: Still your ears might be killed if you dont get headphones with there own volume knob

Yeah, that pair's bust. It's actually about as loud through headphones... because mine are awesome like that.

Persona 2 runs. You just can't see menu text. Hit buttons for a while, and you'll start playing. This is definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Awesome stuff, Zod.

Edit:Locks after opening ;_;. Speed was good though.

xnopasaranx said:
if anyone wants to see another game running basically fullspeed, try command and conquer: red alert! So many people wanted that on the gp2x and now it's possible. I have been playing that yesterday night with the 7/11/7 build and it ran perfect!
C&C full speed on gp2x? Nice!

Could someone make a vid?

Shadowsithe said:
Use the volume settings of Gmenu2x to force a lower volume.

Back