Steam on Pandora?

agwellin

Still Fresh
Does the Steam client get along well with the Pandora? I'm sure I have a few Steam games that the Pandora ought to be able to handle (once I get it) but I've actually not seen anyone discuss Steam here, so I'm not sure if that'll be a viable thing or not.

Unfortunately, no. There isn't even a decent client available for the major linux distros yet, IIRC. Also, many of the games you have in steam would need to be completely rewritten for linux/ARM and most studios would not bother for such a small audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Steam client get along well with the Pandora? I'm sure I have a few Steam games that the Pandora ought to be able to handle (once I get it) but I've actually not seen anyone discuss Steam here, so I'm not sure if that'll be a viable thing or not.

Steam would require wine to run for windows emulation... Wine doesn't work because it requires an X86 processor, the Pandora uses an ARM processor. Even if you could get all past that it's no guarantee the programs would work properly.

The Pandora can handle some fairly graphically intense games, but requires being compiled for Linux Arm.. code from regular x86(PC) Linux won't just work.

Wow, I thought the Steam client was supposed to be Linux-friendly. Not sure where I got that idea, seems very not true actually :(

Wow, I thought the Steam client was supposed to be Linux-friendly. Not sure where I got that idea, seems very not true actually :(

Uhh Steam isn't entirely that Linux friendly on a regular PC, let alone a computer that has entirely different processor architecture. Sure you may be able to get it to launch properly on a regular PC.. but there isn't any guarantee that the games will work properly.. sure most Valve games work.. but third party games there is no guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you mean steam games like early quakes/dooms and quite a few others then you need to grab the data files from your steam directory and find the pandora clients,

but if you want actual steam running no

well probably cause phoronix has been reporting that it would be. The only thing is that parts of steam appear to have linux bits, some users were actually able to hack something together that showed some parts of steam running, but it was no where near functional.

in my opinion it would be very surprising if steam was even supported on a mainstream arm device i.e iphone/android. Doubt it would ever happen for niche open devices like pandora.

Steam for iOS/Android isn't surprising - They already have the publishing area of the business down, they just need to develop one app to steal Apple/Google's cut of game sales.

But IF they do this it will be a different distribution channel to normal Steam. Want Angry Birds? Sure! Want Portal2? Forgedaboutit!

i thought apple doesnt allow apps that sell other apps in their appstore...say that three times fast :|

Back