Stop Battery Drainage During Standby Mode?

jastolze

Hi. I've had my Pandora console since February of this year. I'm happy that the battery lasts as long as it does during gameplay, but I've noticed the battery life drains (a LOT) when I put it in sleep mode. Is there a plugin that makes it use less power when I shut the device? Like turning down the Clock speed, from 800 or 900 to it's very minimum? Or maybe to put it into a deeper sleep? I've also noticed that it uses close to the same amount of battery when it's shut compared to the times I'm actually using it. As much as I love the Pandora, I think this is a BIG negative. My PSP generally loses minimal to no battery life on standby. So, my question is: Does an app or plugin exist to either help increase the battery life, or to minimize the battery life loss during sleep mode?

Thanks,
Jastolze

the pandora should not consume that much battery while being in standby. do you only close the lid or put it into low-power mode with the power-switch?

closing the lid IIRC only turns off the display and nothing more. pushing the power-switch puts the pandora in low-power mode.

there's a newer kernel/firmware in the works which supports suspend-to-ram and is said to be working very well and extending the battery life even more. i did not test it myself, but you probably should check out this thread on the official board: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/8424-superzaxxon-beta-5-released/

crow_riot said:
the pandora should not consume that much battery while being in standby. do you only close the lid or put it into low-power mode with the power-switch?

closing the lid IIRC only turns off the display and nothing more. pushing the power-switch puts the pandora in low-power mode.

there's a newer kernel/firmware in the works which supports suspend-to-ram and is said to be working very well and extending the battery life even more. i did not test it myself, but you probably should check out this thread on the official board: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/8424-superzaxxon-beta-5-released/
Thanks for the reply. I do put it in low power mode by flicking the switch. I'm about to try the new firmware. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Railguy123 said:
Thanks for the reply. I do put it in low power mode by flicking the switch. I'm about to try the new firmware. Thanks again for the help!
With the older firmwares, "low power" is really just "everything is still running, but it is idle and slow to reduce power usage".
The new firmware (don't let the "beta" tag fool you, it is quite stable now) low power is a genuine sleep mode where it actually shuts off everything except the RAM and real time clock. In this mode you'll see upwards of 8 days of standby time (from full charge) before the battery runs dead and forces a hard shut down.

WizardStan said:
Railguy123 said:
With the older firmwares, "low power" is really just "everything is still running, but it is idle and slow to reduce power usage".
The new firmware (don't let the "beta" tag fool you, it is quite stable now) low power is a genuine sleep mode where it actually shuts off everything except the RAM and real time clock. In this mode you'll see upwards of 8 days of standby time (from full charge) before the battery runs dead and forces a hard shut down.
8 days? Nice! I used to have it on standby for about 18 hours and then from a full charge it would drain completely... Oh well, I haven't had a problem with the new Firmware yet!

Railguy123 said:
WizardStan said:
Railguy123 said:
8 days? Nice! I used to have it on standby for about 18 hours and then from a full charge it would drain completely... Oh well, I haven't had a problem with the new Firmware yet!

Yes, the newer firmware is truly amazing. In fact it has completely removed the requirement for the 'sleep timer' application I added into the application repository a while back...

I went away for a weekend during the jubilee and forgot to bring my pandy with me, I came back after 5 days and it I was suprized to fine that it was still going.

Back