Strange Behaviour..

Vanamonde

Yesterday my GP32 stopped regonising the SM card (I got the no card or no game error when I ran freelauncher).

Using XP to check the card threw up a couple of corrupt files (txt ones) that could not be deleted. Backed up all the files on the card and then formatted it (using my card reader and formatted it as FAT and not FAT32). Put the files back on and I was still getting the error and no corrupt files this time.

Tried using PC Link to format the card using the GP32, but no luck there (kept getting USB timeout errors).

As a last resort formatted the SMC in my digital camera, copied the backuped files back on to the card and lo and behold it worked...everything back to normal.

Very weird...

you proberly had some corrupt fills on there, maybe they didn't copy properly or the download didn't finish, I don't know because you didn't tell much ( what fills ) but glad its working again :D .

I think that the partition information for your card had probably corrupted.

You see as windows never has to boot from a smartmedia card - formatting it won't fix the partition table - it will just overwrite it with the fat library at the start.

Many digital cameras will fix this information as part of their format even tho' windows won't.

To fix the partition info on a smartmedia card from windows you need to run fdisk on it (I use the run command on the start menu to do this). I think XP has its own partitioning tools so you could try using these to delete the partition and write a new one to the card.

Probably much simpler to use your digital cameras format function tho'

Tim

Back