Strange Sd Slot Behavior

Lint

Hi everyone

today I was backing-up all my SD files back to hard disk so I could move it on my new SanDisk Ultra-II 2gb SD card
as I don't have a SD card reader (I have on my notebook, but it's slower than to use my gp2x reader) I had to use gp2x's one

there were at least 2 curiosities: hdparm-for-gp2x states that my card is capable of -- at least -- 1mb/s of buffered read access, but everytime I try to copy something to/from gp2x's SD it keep on in a slow 450kb/s transfer rate

then today, while transfering pak0.pak (from quake 2) in that backup, suddenly, in the middle of the transfer, rate gone up to more than 3mb/s :ph34r:, with no user interaction (I was playing phantasy star on DrMD when that happened) and gone on until the file finishes, after that file, everything gone back to 450kb/s boringness
and that gone for at least a hundred megabytes or so..

so, I have some questions: everybody here get this lame 450kb/s transfer rate when using gp2x's SD slot?
is there any reason for why hdparm says 1mb/s but transfer over usb don't go any faster than 450kb/s?

It's possible that the extra CPU utilization when using USB is enough to slow it down, but that does seem like a bit much.

If you transfer many files at a time (like a skin pack etc) it will go really slow but if you transfer a single file (regardless of size) it will transfer really fast compared to a folder of 205 files for example.

Yeah, but I was transfering one file at time
And also wasn't using some other usb device that would eat all my bandwidth
So it's not the case....

BradN posted on Jul 20 2006 at 11:28 PM said:
It's possible that the extra CPU utilization when using USB is enough to slow it down, but that does seem like a bit much.
Yeap, but I was using AC adapter, so it would make no difference to me running at 80mhz or 200mhz :]
And after upping the clock rate, transfer speed won't go any further, but at least it gave me a little bit better emulation
I just wonder why that file gone soooo faster than the others :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back