GP32 stupid questions

HeYu

Still Fresh
is it possible to do an x86 emulator? or port dos (if the sourcecode is available)? and does software that run in dos (commander keen, ntcommander, etc) run through dos or do they have own routines that call the cpu/videocard/whatever directly?

just wondering if it would be possible to emulate all games that run under dos with just one program, instead of all the ports we have (which are great, btw).

sorry for being st00pid. i don't know much about computer systems etc (i know a bit c++ and i've created a couple of games with allegro though).

A x86 emulator would be requierd to do that.
ppl were talking about porting one a while ago, but i don't think a straight port of
that one would be fast enough on GP32.

---
mithris

I`m not much of a coder, but there were some quite useable emulators available for the Amiga which ran at top clock speeds of 66mhz.

Windows 3.1 shouldnt be a problem to run on the GP32 if a suitable emulator were coded.

However the entire hard file, emulator and free launcher would need to be kept on the smc card (realistically leaving a max of 126mb for the hard file).

The speed of the card may be a prob for some applications, plus there would be other probs like Virtual Memory etc.

An x86 emulator would be awesome. I could play plenty of old DOS games on it, and can run my own software on it (I've been doing DOS programing since the Windows 3.1 days).

A thought occurs to me though, why hasn't there been a Linux port for the GP32? It will run on almost any hardware, all the way down to a 8086.

A desktop enviroment would probably be too much, but getting enough of the kernel together to use the command line shouldn't be a problem with the hardware.

Is anyone working on Linux for the GP32?

Back