Suing To Root

You can tell I don't feel a need to mess with this often, can't you? :lol: (I just figured it was a safe bet to stick with what I know. :lol: )

dgame said:
Okay, could you all explain the fear of "root"?
Linux is not hack free. Occasional things crop up which allow a careful user to log in with an arbitrary ID. They don't know the password for that ID or anything, they've just managed to trick the system into thinking they are that user. Even if they can trick the system into thinking they're some other regular user, all that gives them is access to that user's files. To do anything with the system itself still requires sudo and a password. If they can trick the system into thinking they are root, however, they don't need a password anymore: they are God, they can do whatever the fsck they want. By making root a non-ID, it prevents anyone from logging in as root, even these would be attacks that allow ID changes, and through the power of sudo [su], you can still do everything that you could as root, it simply requires an additional password.
That's just one reason, by the way. There are many, but this is the best one that was ever given to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
dgame said:
Okay, could you all explain the fear of "root"?
Linux is not hack free. Occasional things crop up which allow a careful user to log in with an arbitrary ID. They don't know the password for that ID or anything, they've just managed to trick the system into thinking they are that user. Even if they can trick the system into thinking they're some other regular user, all that gives them is access to that user's files. To do anything with the system itself still requires sudo and a password. If they can trick the system into thinking they are root, however, they don't need a password anymore: they are God, they can do whatever the fsck they want. By making root a non-ID, it prevents anyone from logging in as root, even these would be attacks that allow ID changes, and through the power of sudo [su], you can still do everything that you could as root, it simply requires an additional password.
That's just one reason, by the way. There are many, but this is the best one that was ever given to me.

Yea, but if you can brute force the password for any user with sudoer priveledges, then you can get root with sudo su, so I don't see the reason in people making it impossible to log in as root, since if an attacker tries hard enough, they can get around it anyway. Now, I'm not saying anything bad about the randomized password thing, just the fact that people are trying to make root a non-ID when there is no reason to.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Yea, but if you can brute force the password for any user with sudoer priveledges, then you can get root with sudo su, so I don't see the reason in people making it impossible to log in as root, since if an attacker tries hard enough, they can get around it anyway. Now, I'm not saying anything bad about the randomized password thing, just the fact that people are trying to make root a non-ID when there is no reason to.
If you can brute force the password, then you've got more problems with your system than whether someone can or cannot log in as root.
If I understand you correctly, since it is possible that a particularly determined individual can pick even the most complex of locks, there's no point in even closing the door? Layers of security, layers. Sure, a dedicated person could maybe find a way around, but for every one person that gets around it, it stops 1000 (numbers pulled from butt for example purposes only). Being able to log in as root does not add anything but additional insecurity. "sudo su" gives you the same power, with an extra layer of security.

WizardStan said:
(numbers pulled from butt for example purposes only)

Well, if you ask me, they stink.

Sorry, didn't mean to be anal.

:p

Back