Pandora Supa - Simple Updater For Pandora Applications

likwidoxigen

Website
Visit site
-Canceled-
Please follow this thread where a long term solution is forthcoming.

---LINK ADDED---

If/When I get upload privs on apps.open-pandora.org this will go live. Cheers!

Ok so because no one's done it yet I took an hour and threw together the shell scripts necessary to get this functional. Then my first experience with packaging a pnd and then moving through with debugging curious little bitties on the pandora brings me to a total of 3 hours. Lets take that as a measure of worth....

This app only works on other apps that you got through apps.open-pandora.org. If you have an app of the same name from another place, it'll get replaced.

This is a horrifically crude bit of bash scripting. It's brute force and dumb... kinda like beating a nail into a block of wood with a piece of sandstone.

Ok, so she works. I have a machine that downloaded every pnd from apps.open-pandora.org and created a master pndname -> md5sum list. This list is downloaded to the pandora. Then a separate list of all the local PND files on your pandora are found and then md5summed. Then a brutish O[sup]2[/sup] for loop does the checking of your apps and their sums to the master list and it's sums. A list of all your apps and if they need to be updated is spit to the screen then after it checks all your apps the ones that need updating get downloaded and everything continues happily ever after.

If I get any time I'll work on a real application that uses a gui and a sqlite db. However, I'm sure someone else will beat me to it.

--KNOWN ISSUES--

If you just eject your SD card without unmounting it you've broken the app... to fix it you can sudo in a terminal on the device and go to /mnt/utmp then umount SUPA then rm -r SUPA
If anyone knows another way that's easier just let me know. I can't unmount sdcard by right click unmount on the desktop anymore so I'll probably try that flash that includes HF3

Ok it's time for me to pass out. I'll be back in about 16-20 hours.
Download SUPA 0.1-1

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using it, seems pretty functional to me. I only don't like that there is no report at the end of the process about what has been done - seems to me like it would be more useful to provide a summary of the updates than just close the window ..

torpor said:
I've been using it, seems pretty functional to me. I only don't like that there is no report at the end of the process about what has been done - seems to me like it would be more useful to provide a summary of the updates than just close the window ..

Hey there. I should probably update this thing. The main issue is that Craigs store's code is a bit of a mess to read and The apps on there are a bit old at this point and it's not up to date. Once I get internet back at my residence I'll be working on this again as I have some ideas to deal with it. I also need to stop being a lazy bum and switch the messaging system to zenity or write a controller app in python.

Would be nice if we could get this working a bit more properly .. at least until the ability to update apps through OPKG is made available to the wider public ..

Why not just use the unique id + appname + app version in the PXML? Should be a lot faster then building checksums.

Vimacs said:
Why not just use the unique id + appname + app version in the PXML? Should be a lot faster then building checksums.
I'm trying to avoid the need to download every single app from the appdb. That seems just wasteful. However real life has been seriously preventing me from working on it as of yet. However I may very well go with your idea if I can't get anywhere trying to find a better way to parse the webpages.

Bryce Leo said:
Vimacs said:
I'm trying to avoid the need to download every single app from the appdb. That seems just wasteful. However real life has been seriously preventing me from working on it as of yet. However I may very well go with your idea if I can't get anywhere trying to find a better way to parse the webpages.

I don't suppose you wanna join forces?

milkshake said:

I would love to, except, SUPA is really just a hacky collection of scripts to support a native client on the pandora. I hated the crap of not being able to have an actual client on the pandora. And it's esseintally perma-broke if you didn't download apps before their name got changed.
For instance you get a PND named "firefox-3.6.12-0.pnd" when you go to "http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?firefox366.pnd&20803584" which F*s me because I pull the pnd name from the fracking link... which means that if you had the original firefox366.pnd you'll get the firefox-3.6.12-0.pnd but it will be named firefox366.pnd. However if you currently have "firefox-3.6.12-0.pnd" you will never get updated. I'm working on fixing that currently.

Ideally I think that there needs to be a real web/pnd "team". Craigs pandora-apps is great for the web but there's no stinking local app. D's "The Box" is a great concept but currently stalled with no local client like craig's.

I don't know if I'm necessarily the right guy to work on the local app, and I won't have any real time till the new year, the 27th the earliest... but I'd give it a shot. I really just want to get SUPA back into working status at the moment. We should def chat though.

I'll re-comment on this tomorrow and update the first post if possible.

Bryce Leo said:
milkshake said:

I would love to, except, SUPA is really just a hacky collection of scripts to support a native client on the pandora. I hated the crap of not being able to have an actual client on the pandora. And it's esseintally perma-broke if you didn't download apps before their name got changed.
For instance you get a PND named "firefox-3.6.12-0.pnd" when you go to "http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?firefox366.pnd&20803584" which F*s me because I pull the pnd name from the fracking link... which means that if you had the original firefox366.pnd you'll get the firefox-3.6.12-0.pnd but it will be named firefox366.pnd. However if you currently have "firefox-3.6.12-0.pnd" you will never get updated. I'm working on fixing that currently.

Ideally I think that there needs to be a real web/pnd "team". Craigs pandora-apps is great for the web but there's no stinking local app. D's "The Box" is a great concept but currently stalled with no local client like craig's.

I don't know if I'm necessarily the right guy to work on the local app, and I won't have any real time till the new year, the 27th the earliest... but I'd give it a shot. I really just want to get SUPA back into working status at the moment. We should def chat though.

I'll re-comment on this tomorrow and update the first post if possible.

coolio just let me know.

milkshake said:
coolio just let me know.
How bout I take my free time and work on something very much my style...a somewhat hacky but functional and (hopefully) reliable collection of scripts (with a decent interface hopefully) that'll pull the repo file from your website and handle things accordingly? Does that sound reasonable to you?

its certainly better than nothing right? although i think in the end we need a package manager/app store kinda like on ubuntu something like that would be swell :) or whatever lol

milkshake said:
its certainly better than nothing right? although i think in the end we need a package manager/app store kinda like on ubuntu something like that would be swell :) or whatever lol
I completely agree. Doesn't hurt to start small and work up to it though :)

I sure wish this still worked, I was using it successfully in the beginning to keep my Pandora up to date, and the feeling was wonderful. I'm addicted to having my systems always up to date - iPhone4 is sync'ed daily, my linux machines get their 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' done daily, and so on ..

I hope we get something similar to this in the future, though.

Whatever happened to "The Box" that dflemstr was working on? I remember that this was a feature that I had been asking for in the terminal app for it.

-God Ginrai

Well, dflemstr stopped working on The Box and left the community, but milkshake and I are building off his ideas. We're in a temporary lull as minor changes get made to the PXML and repository specs, but we haven't stopped working on it. milkshake is doing a bunch of backend work to his site, and I'm occasionally squeezing in time to work on a local client, and would certainly enjoy some assistance. So, it's all on its way.

Tempel said:
Well, dflemstr stopped working on The Box and left the community, but milkshake and I are building off his ideas. We're in a temporary lull as minor changes get made to the PXML and repository specs, but we haven't stopped working on it. milkshake is doing a bunch of backend work to his site, and I'm occasionally squeezing in time to work on a local client, and would certainly enjoy some assistance. So, it's all on its way.

Wow, I didn't realize dflemstr had left the community. As far as coding is concerned, I don't know if I would be able to be of any assistance, however I would be more than willing to help test anything.

-God Ginrai

pokitfoxx said:
is work still being done on this? is there a new 1 in the works?
Milkshake and Tempel are working on a replacement. I kinda figured it would be out to users in a beta a while ago (no offense meant, just how I figured), or I would have at least kept the updater running.

torpor said:
I sure wish this still worked, I was using it successfully in the beginning to keep my Pandora up to date, and the feeling was wonderful. I'm addicted to having my systems always up to date - iPhone4 is sync'ed daily, my linux machines get their 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' done daily, and so on ..
I hope we get something similar to this in the future, though.
Amen to that. Sorry for leaving you hanging, but it seemed to me that a "real" integrated solution was a better deal than what I was working on.

Back