superpowers collaborative html5/lua game ide

___

Advanced Member
Hey guys! I have been trying to find an easy to learn game engine with IDE for a little while now. I was planning to do a project with my fiancee and she is used to rpgmaker2k. After a while I found superpowers. I would love to recommend this to everyone who wants to start developing.

It comes with a server/client software that you can either run on your own computer or on a server and connect to that. The brilliant thing about it is, that you can have your friends connect to it and chat with you, then start developing together. the project files are managed by the server in a way that you can collaboratively code, make maps and add and edit assets in real-time. It's like minecraft for coders/pixel artists.

and it's free and open source!!!! and your friends can connect to your server using their webbrowsers without installing anything!

the developers were aiming for an open design, so that you can easily add "systems" to the server that enhance it's functionality for other languages than html5. Now there is a löve2d system, haven't been able to get it working yet on my server though.

here is the website: http://www.superpowers-html5.com
and the git repo: http://github.com/superpowers/

anyway, I would love to have this on pandora and pyra. apparently you can run the server on a rpi2, so I don't think it should be impossible but who knows. All I can say is, it needs node.js 4.x for the server. not sure what the client needs however.

One thing that I'd imagine to be rather difficult is packaging the games into pnd form. I think we will have enough software to run html5 applications on the pyra, but I am not so sure about the pandora.

The developers recommend electron for making a native executable out of the html5 output. electron apparently supports arm, but it's a new feature and it seems like they haven't implemented it correctly for arm 32bit yet (the person testing this on a raspberry pi had to add arm64 to the supported architectures which is obviously not a good idea).
http://github.com/electron

can someone have a look into this? it would be awesome to have another game maker available that works on both pyra and pandora (with the love2d support even better). and the collaborative game making features are just so damn cool!
[doublepost=1463226616,1463226115][/doublepost]oh and having electron working for armel and armhf would be awesome,too! maybe we could run software that would otherwise not be usable if run in chrome or firefox on pandora.
@ptitSeb interested?

@xnopasaranx : IIRC, electron runs on node.js. That thing is on my todo, but the build system is as complicated to hack as the one in chromium... I may try at some point yes, because it can enable a couple of interresting things. Not sure it will be faster that running through chromium...

most certainly better than chrome. not sure if it will be usable though, but it's definitely and improvement. the build system does seem like a horror show, but as someone has got it working on rpi, I think we've got a fighting chance. thanks for taking a look!

btw: wasn't there someone who asked about running node.js recently? I think he reported that he got it to work. that'd be awesome, I'll try to run the superpowers suite for a test later if I can find out how he did it.

okay pandora and pyra runtime support is pretty much guaranteed now, I got love2d running. It was merely a case of installing the plugin with the server stopped (stupid mistake, should've known to stop the server before installing). The syntax highlighting for lua/löve is working but it's missing an editor for assets (tile maps, sprite editor etc). I am sure they'll implement this soon though, as the plugins are already there for the html5 game editor.

This is cool! I am doing the löve shooter tutorial now, and will try running the game on the pandora when I am done. I didn't get around to try superpowers and node.js on the pandora yet, though.

Back