Release Supertux

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
I didn't see any discussion thread for SuperTux, so I thought I'd start one.

stux2.png

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,73

The game looks very beautiful on the Pandora screen (see 3:53 in this video), as it is one of the few that fill the screen without doubling pixels or black bars. However, the controls are very awkward. "Space" for "Jump" is almost bearable (I guess), but "Ctrl" for "Fire/Run" is just silly. "B" and "X" for those two would be much better.

I believe you can assign the controls to any button you want. It's been awhile since I played it on the Pandora.

kerplunk said:
I believe you can assign the controls to any button you want. It's been awhile since I played it on the Pandora.
How do you do that?

I've noticed that quite a lot of games have this problem, actually. The action keys are just kept the same as in the computer versions, which makes them very awkward to play on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
I've noticed that quite a lot of games have this problem, actually.
Bug the porter about that.
Find the good thread and post about it. Most of the time, it's relatively easy to fix.
I'm guilty of this for somes. I'm always open for good sugggestion. And it wont be the first time I change the control because of a request...

sebt3 said:
Esn said:
I've noticed that quite a lot of games have this problem, actually.
Bug the porter about that.
Find the good thread and post about it. Most of the time, it's relatively easy to fix.
I'm guilty of this for somes. I'm always open for good sugggestion. And it wont be the first time I change the control because of a request...
Ok, I'll try to remember next time I come across something. :)

Mostly, I'd just like it if the 4 face buttons were assigned for the action as much as possible, rather than "space", "ctrl", "enter", etc.

It's a bit of a problem, because a lot of the first programs were created long before there was a large community of users to test them, so sometimes the original port authors are no longer around to check feedback (after all, they ported something months ago, who can blame them?)

The porters for this one seem to be Pickle and EvilDragon. They're still around, but quite busy I'd imagine.

You can set up the controls from the 'options' menu but yes, these should be assigned sensibly by default.

Pickle ported it, was one of the first games.
I only wrapped it up, but I'll wrap it up anew, with VSync (notaz SDL library works like a charm here) and default config :)

Thanks Ed. To assign controls hit function+esc. Scroll to Options and do it from there.

EvilDragon said:
Pickle ported it, was one of the first games.
I only wrapped it up, but I'll wrap it up anew, with VSync (notaz SDL library works like a charm here) and default config :)
Thanks ED. And thanks, folks, for telling me that it's possible to reassign controls in "options". I hadn't noticed that.

Thanks ED. Though there´s a small bug now - the game is now filed under Accessories, not games. Also, the jump button is currently assigned to X, but fire is still assigned to Space. Maybe assign jump to both X/A, and Fire to B/Y?

Esn said:
Thanks ED. Though there´s a small bug now - the game is now filed under Accessories, not games. Also, the jump button is currently assigned to X, but fire is still assigned to Space. Maybe assign jump to both X/A, and Fire to B/Y?

If I press B on my Pandora, SuperTux shows it as space.
But B works fine for me, doesn't it for you?

Will fix the category bug :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Esn said:

If I press B on my Pandora, SuperTux shows it as space.
But B works fine for me, doesn't it for you?

Will fix the category bug :)

No it B doesn't fire or show as space for me either. Also it seems I have already assigned but the next time I played I had to reassign again (A for fire/run).

I have encountered a bit of an issue with SuperTux that I was wondering if someone could help with

It happened as soon as I got to the 11th level (Night Chill) - basically what happens is that about a 3rd of the screen on the right hand side does not update properly anymore

So when playing the far right hand side of the screen does not update properly - I can see some of the platforms, but whatever is on screen sort of stays there and all blurs together, this now happens on the next level too (Into the stars) and I suspect will do for all levels after

Its a bit of a shame really as up til then the game was pretty good fun

johnmy said:
I have encountered a bit of an issue with SuperTux that I was wondering if someone could help with

It happened as soon as I got to the 11th level (Night Chill) - basically what happens is that about a 3rd of the screen on the right hand side does not update properly anymore

So when playing the far right hand side of the screen does not update properly - I can see some of the platforms, but whatever is on screen sort of stays there and all blurs together, this now happens on the next level too (Into the stars) and I suspect will do for all levels after

Its a bit of a shame really as up til then the game was pretty good fun

Is there something special that wasn't there on levels before?
Special Graphics maybe?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Is there something special that wasn't there on levels before?
Special Graphics maybe?
No not really as it happens as soon as I press the button to start the level from the world map - the only real difference is that the levels are further to the right hand side of the world map if you see what I mean

I have the same problem as Johnmy: screen corruption on the right 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen in the higher levels (3 levels so far). Restarting the game doesn't help and there's no problem in MiniMenu or other games.

Edit: just entered level "Entrance to the cave" and now the screen is ok again.

Lambertus said:
I have the same problem as Johnmy: screen corruption on the right 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen in the higher levels (3 levels so far). Restarting the game doesn't help and there's no problem in MiniMenu or other games.

Cool - at least I know that eventually it will be ok - out of interest is the level where it's ok towards the left of the screen on the world map again?

johnmy said:
Lambertus said:

Cool - at least I know that eventually it will be ok - out of interest is the level where it's ok towards the left of the screen on the world map again?
Sorry bout that, but I didn't watch the world map closely... though, iirc, it was level 11, bymmv

Back