Release SuperZaxxon Final released!

So here's a dumb question... If I previously installed the beta to one of my SD cards, can I just write over the files with this new version or do I have to re-run the "install on an SD card" pnd?

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can share.

Cheers,

Mike

As some things have changed, I'd recommend, that you run the sdinstaller again.

Unfortunately there are no updaterpnds anymore, just a full reflash :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I flashed my unit twice with the new firmware, but on both occasions got "Failed to load kernel, you may need to reflash the firmware.".

I tried searching for an answer but came up empty. Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,

Yes, I manually verified using md5sum. The flashing process itself does this check as well (and it passed).

can I just write over the files with this new version or do I have to re-run the "install on an SD card" pnd?

As some things have changed, I'd recommend, that you run the sdinstaller again.

Pending an update, do bear in mind that without Gausen's workaround , the current SD Installer pnd will only create a card that boots the old kernel.

Stay tuned, presumably ;)

A bug - bearing in mind I'm presently away from my PC and stuck with the old kernel on SD -

Previously in SZB5a, when I toggled the usb host 'enabled', and later 'disabled' it, the toggle option was then 'disable' only. I'd have to reboot to use memory stick again. Now it's the opposite, I can toggle it 'enabled', but thereafter the toggle option remains 'enable' only. Can't disable it, from menu or taskbar.

Thanks for the suggestion. The file bootf.tgz was there, but I decided to recopy everything except the root image and then the pandora booted properly. So I guess that file was corrupt.

Thanks,

I wanted to sync my clock but the old ntpdate does not work anymore...or more exactly, this service doesn't seem to exist within the new firmware anymore.

I also found some balloon tipps like wifi enabled do not recognize when I click on "don't show this message again", it still appears the next time.

Besides this, new firmware seems to be fine so far. :)

We never had ntpdate included on the firmware.

I also cannot remember that there ever was a "Don't show this again" at the balloons.

Would be very weird, as the OS itself basically hasn't changed since Hotfix 5... from there on, it was just scripts and kernel updates.

How can you release a version named "final", when essential parts are still not working? I mean the microphone and line-in (they work only in older kernel).

Also something is wrong with touch screen. When I click on the Pandora button it sometimes works fine, but other times it doesn't work. I can see a blink of the icons on the left side, so I suppose the menu shows and immediately hides back, like it registered two clicks instead of one. (it was the same in beta 5)

And can something be done about the menu items requiring two clicks to expand (but not double-click)? It is quite uncomfortable.

How can you release a version named "final", when essential parts are still not working? I mean the microphone and line-in (they work only in older kernel).

There were 5 Betas out there where we called for testing help and reports what is working and what not.

I've not seen a single entry on the Bugtracker saying that microphone and Line-In doesn't work.

I've never personally used the microphone or Line-In, so I didn't even know that.

The reason we did a half year public betatesting was that users can report back what's broken.

If there's no report about that issue, then it's overlooked (or considered as "working").

Also something is wrong with touch screen. When I click on the Pandora button it sometimes works fine, but other times it doesn't work. I can see a blink of the icons on the left side, so I suppose the menu shows and immediately hides back, like it registered two clicks instead of one. (it was the same in beta 5)

Did you file in a bug report? If not, why not?

I can't recall having such issue on my unit, but it could be I'd need to further test it.

And can something be done about the menu items requiring two clicks to expand (but not double-click)? It is quite uncomfortable.

That's part of how XFCE4 works. We'll switch to a newer XFCE4 with .next (though I don't know yet how it behaves there), and SuperZaxxon mostly only got a new kernel.

i think a big issue here is that most people report back in the thread of the release and not bugtracker? maybe a reminder with link to bug tracker in first post of thread?

That would be fine as well, but I can't remember seeing non-working audio in or a touchscreen issue in this thread as well...

To be fair ED, none of the issues I've experienced with SZfinal occured in SZb5a :)

I've had way more problems with this than I did with the previous betas.

D.

Did you file in a bug report? If not, why not?

I can't recall having such issue on my unit, but it could be I'd need to further test it.

That was brought up in the Beta 5a. It's an extremely annoying bug because the only guaranteed way to open the menu is to press the Pandora button, but sometimes touching the screen is more convenient.

Honestly, this "final" version doesn't sound like it fixes any of the problems I have with Beta 5a. Namely, the touchscreen problem, the various unexplained failures in the new kernel that require booting into the old kernel to fix (unless the kernel update fixes that), and the new widget in the panel appearing twice when you switch out of Xfce and back to it. Why was this rushed out so quickly? There ought to have been a release candidate at the very least, and I tend to think there should have been another beta, too.

On boot from SD:

Code:
Can't access SD card, please re-insert and press enter

Re-inserting SD gives nothing in dmesg, and only root seems to be mounted..

Edit: That was with a 16 GB SD card. With a 4GB one, everything worked...

Back