Supported File Systems

tomj

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am wondering what file systems are supported by the GP2X? I currently have a 250Gb powered usb drive formated NTFS that i would like to be able to use in conjunction with a break out board. A usb flash disk that i have works fine. I know that linux and NTFS do not get on so i was not supprised when it did not work. I dont really want to have to make lots of small FAT/FAT12/FAT16 partitions. Would it be possible to use something like ext2/ext3. I am currently running Ubuntu so have been thinking about reformatting it for a while. I am definetly going to have multiple partitions (music, films, pictures, ...).

I have searched the forums and google and not found anything all that i have found it refers to SD cards. So if i have missed something and this gets asked a lot im sorry.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Load up a Ubuntu livecd on your computer and make the hard drive one big FAT32 partition in gparted. Really really easy to do :)

Load up a Ubuntu livecd on your computer and make the hard drive one big FAT32 partition in gparted. Really really easy to do :)
You can format the hard drive with FAT32 from windows too. Either use the Disk Management snap in, or use:
Code:
FORMAT Drive: /FS:FAT32
from the command line, replace Drive: with the drive letter. Personally I would use the Disk Management console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice i will format it to FAT32 as that will allow me to use it on computers running windows i didn't relise that the GP2X could handle FAT32. The reason for multiple partitions is when i need to defragment or other things it wont affect the entire drive. 250Gb will take a long time to defragment or scan if problems occur

You can format the hard drive with FAT32 from windows too. Either use the Disk Management snap in, or use:
Code:
FORMAT Drive: /FS:FAT32
from the command line, replace Drive: with the drive letter. Personally I would use the Disk Management console.

The problem with this is that windows artificially limits the size of FAT32 partitions... I don't remember exactly what it is limited to, but it is less than 250GB. :)

Didn't see you were using ubuntu, oops :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back