Surface Mount Capacitors Have Gone Mia. Help Me Identify Them?

mtaylor

Still Fresh
Hey you hardware people! I need to repair my gp2x from its strange demise, the loss of a few passive circuit elements; namely surface mount capacitors and an inductor. Here is a table that summarizes the missing parts:

Designation Type Description Value
C14 Capacitor Tan color, no markings Unknown
C13 Capacitor Marked "C106" 10µF
C22 Capacitor Marked "C106" 10µF
L2 Inductor Dark gray color, no markings Unknown

For reference, here is an image of their locations on the motherboard (original image by notaz, annotated / cropped by me):
a9nVhvaRWWzpKoWMPb4cEEkpnLyMDy8O_m.png

In a previous discussion, squirrel 61 identified C13 and C22 as 10µF capacitors.

Any help would be appreciated, especially if I can get this fixed before my pandora arrives.

I need some help identifying replacement parts for my gp2x motherboard. I originally posted some time ago, but the topic title wasn't very descriptive of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everybody, I just wanted to post a little update: I finally got around to replacing the missing components last night and it works again! The soldering job was a real bear so I'd recommend anyone in a similar predicament to practice a bit first on some old PCB before tackling this one. I used a capacitor testing multimeter and a potentiostat to determine the component values. Radio Shack doesn't sell inductors any more, so I had to construct my own out of enamel coated wire and it was almost too big to fit in the case.

C13 and C22 were 10 uF, identified by markings.
C14 was 90 nF by multimeter
L2 was 5.5 uH by potentiostat. This one was missing and I wasn't sure of the value, so I measured the impedance of another similar looking inductor and assumed they were the same.

Thanks again to the replies in my original thread, you were helpful.

Power Tip: I initially thought I had lost the C13 capacitor, but I found it much later, stuck to the speaker magnets inside the gp2x. This allowed the part to be in the case, but not rattle around when you shake it. If you are missing components with no apparent rattling parts, check your speakers.

i agree with you that C13 and C22 were 10 uF, identified by markings.
C14 was 90 nF by multimeter
L2 was 5.5 uH by potentiostat

thanks for the update i also confirmed that

Back