Sword of Colour (working title)

As he is using Panjoust, I'm pretty sure his code is very portable. And delivering binaries for a plateform you still don't own is something... fishy ?

I'm using Penjin (I'm sure that's what you meant when saying "Panjoust") so it's just a matter of recompiling. But as a windows user and novice programmer I don't now anything about compiling for other OS's but don't worry there will be a Linux version soon.

Yep, loom was great. I case you didn't catch the reference, I was just referring to your spelling. It's spelled Wizard, not Wizzard.

One of the protagonists of Discworld (Rincewind) wears a hat with the word misspelled as Wizzard.

To get back on topic, I like the idea to have multiple characters playable in this game as well. Either as just a skin, or as different game mechanic.

Ah yes, I read every single one of the discworld novels, but that didn't come to my mind. Maybe I#ll have to improve my written english a bit more ;-)

Thanks to Foxblock there is now a linux binary included in the .zip file, so head over to www.siegfriedcroes.com and have fun (I couldn't get it to work myself as I'm a Linux noob but according to Foxblock it should work).

It has been tested on Ubuntu 10.10, but should work on nearly any Linux distro - only the following libraries need to be installed:

SDL, SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, libpnd and libvorbis I guess, maybe some others, just try to start it - it should spit out which ones are missing ;)

Works also very nicely without installing the SDL 1.3 libraries using wine. I loved the general atmoshpere of the game including, but not limited to: graphics, sounds, music, gameplay.

EDIT2:

I recommend compiling on an older ubuntu, would be better for overal compatibility

./TheColorSword_Linux: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./TheColorSword_Linux)

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT2:

I recommend compiling on an older ubuntu, would be better for overal compatibility

./TheColorSword_Linux: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./TheColorSword_Linux)

That would be a good idea, that must be the reason why it didn't work for me as I have an older version of ubuntu (version 8 or 9).

./TheColorSword_Linux: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_gfx.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

./TheColorSword_Linux: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_gfx.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Do you have the latest SDL_gfx installed?

In my case this is:

libsdl-gfx1.2-4

Version: 2.0.20-1

Code:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libsdl-gfx1.2-4

@Reyn: That's the same error I got on my Unbuntu pc which is running an older version (version 9 I think).

@Foxblock: I'll have to try that as I alreay installed all SDL stuff via synaptic but as it's an older version of Ubuntu I'm sure it's an older version of SDL too.

I got the same error, but the windows version played fine on wine so I didn't bother with messing with library versions :)

Updated the lib, still this error, but yeah, it works fine through wine :)
Strange, maybe it is because of Ubuntu version 10.10, I had some other errors with this, too, which don't seem to come up with 10.04 (but I really don't see a reason to downgrade or use an old/outdated version).

I will have a look into it and try to compile it without that specific link, thanks for the report.

foxblock out

EDIT: I deleted the file it reported missing on your end and linked it again.

Here is the result, hope this works: http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=homebrew:games:thecoloursword.zip (just the new binary)

Back