Sybtitle Ripping From Mkv

S34N

Still Fresh
hay thar, i need help, i was decoding this mkv file to play on my gp2x and then i forgot about the subtitles, so there i was watching, waitng for the words, but they failed, anyway, i need them, is there anyway i can rip them off to watch with my allready compressed video, or can i decode the video and the subtitles together, btw i can normally do this with ease but non of my programs can open mkv files.

(edit : oh ya typo in the topic name, my bad)
[oh ya this is my first time hearing of these mysterious mkv files]

how i do it:
use vdubmod to get the video file. then get the audio track you want (japanese i assume since it's probably anime).
then extract the subtitle file using vdubmod.

then with avisynth make a script that mixes the audio (dunno if you can use the encoded audiotrack, perhaps you'll have to convert it to wav or so), video and subtitles, use that as input in vdub/vdubmod and encode it as you wish ^^

i know it isn't easy, but so far it's the only way i found so far....

If you're using mencoder, usually adding -sid 0 to the command line will do it. Of course, I don't suspect you're using mencoder...

I HATE MKV!!!!

For a PC it's good, but I've got a Divx dvd player so I always have to re-encode it.
For me, I use MKVextract (and then I download MKV extract GUI for the GUI version, I think you need to install MKVextract and then copy the GUI files into the directory) , MKV GUI can be downloaded here http://corecodec.org/projects/mkvextractgui/

It should rip the audio, the subs and the video file seperately.

Then, I use virtualdubmod

Back