Sysfs Missing?

dominicbeesley

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I've just bought a USB stick which needs the rt73 driver. I'm having trouble getting this going. I've:

- dowloaded the wireless tools for the rt2570
- compiled an rt73 driver
- compiled the kernel driver for firmware_class.o
- copied all to gp2x

I can modprobe my driver and iwconfig it up to the point of doing ifconfig wlan0 up where it fails with:
rt73 driver version - 1.0.3.6 CVS
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error

I'm guessing that this is due to the fact that the firmware is not getting loaded correctly.

I've spent hours searching on the net and I just can't work out how to get the firmware loading as this seems to require sysfs which is missing from the gp2x kernel source tree.

Has anybody any ideas?

Cheers

Dom

Without detail, it sounds like you have a 2.6 driver, unless you fancy backporting SysFS to Linux 2.4 your very out of luck with your current approach if it needs that ;).

Edit: The following link seems to suggest some ideas for getting it all going on 2.4 mind you.

Megatog615 said:
How come 2.6 is an impossibility with the GP2X?
It's not, I have a basic 2.6.20 running on one of my GP2X's at home (very feature lite, I have not even got around to getting a framebuffer going). It needs a lot more work and compatibility will largely go out the window but running 2.6 is far from imposable. If I can get a framebuffer and the NAND going at some point I will bung my work into Open2x's SVN, there have also been other efforts to port over 2.6 but I really don't know the success or otherwise of those efforts.

Anyway, that said, this post has nothing directly to do with 2.6.

The existing 2.4 kernel(s) on the GP2X are not going to run a 2.6 driver without backporting/tweaking work. i.e. it is not a compile and run job ;). SysFS just does not exist the the 2.4 series in an any meaningful form so anything that depends on it is going to require rework to get it running using another method to load the firmware.
However, after a quick Google I think the drivers in question can be got working on 2.4 in one form or another, as I don't have an RT73 stick it will be upto brahms to decide if he wants the hassle of hacking it all together ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Thanks for the replies,

There _is_ sysfs source in the firmware 2.0.0 tree, but its hidden in a .svn subdirectory.

I think that may be enough to get hotplug and firmware uploading going as the driver for rt73 has plenty of code to make it work on 2.4* kernels and there is a firmware_class module in 2.4.25 that seems to require sysfs to work.

Was there _any_ sysfs support in stock 2.4.25 kernels, I'm finding it almost impossible to track down details of how older versions of hotplug worked. I really don't want to have to install a stock 2.4.25 kernel on a PC to find out!

Cheers

Dom

brahms said:
Hi Thanks for the replies,

There _is_ sysfs source in the firmware 2.0.0 tree, but its hidden in a .svn subdirectory.

Interesting, we have hotplug going in Open2x with hacks. I will have to check the tree.

brahms said:
Was there _any_ sysfs support in stock 2.4.25 kernels, I'm finding it almost impossible to track down details of how older versions of hotplug worked. I really don't want to have to install a stock 2.4.25 kernel on a PC to find out!
You know I am not totally sure. I tend to think of it as a 2.6 feature set.
Anyway, if you get it going let us all know, modules for the stock firmware would be very handle for people. If you end up with a working patchset also let me know as wifi drivers are something we are looking to add more off for Open2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do probably won't be for a couple of weeks as I'm away onsite next week.

The rt73 driver looks pretty easy to compile under 2.6* it compiled with very few problems other than a bit of poking to get it to work with gcc 2.9.5

Dom

Back