System crash after long periods of use as mass storage device ?

thatgui

Advanced Member
Here is something I'm experiencing for a while now:

Usually one of the first things I do, when I arrive at my work desk is, to connect the Pandora through the OTG port to my notebook and set the Pandora into mass storage mode (right slot). Over the course of the day I play a lot of music located on my Pandora and write down some ideas/thoughts/notes in my Zim notebook (this is all done with the desktop applications on my notebook). At the end of the day I eject the drive, close the mass storage mode dialog on the Pandora,disconnect the Pandora, put her into sleep mode, close the lid and pack her in my backpack.

She usually sits there for 20-30min before I'm in a public transport and take her out. But about 80% of the time she does not react if I try to wake her up. If have to restart her with Pandora Button + Switch to the right.

Does anybody else has a similiar usage scenario or is even experiencing the same ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do close out of the Mass Storage mode or do you put it to sleep with the gadget driver still loaded?
I do close the dialog first before disconnecting the Pandora, edited it in in my first post - thanks

Just an idea, could it be that system tries to check/index the filesystem of the freshly mounted card and you put it into the sleep in the middle of this operation? How much time it is between disconnecting the mass storage and switching into the sleep mode?

Just an idea, could it be that system tries to check/index the filesystem of the freshly mounted card and you put it into the sleep in the middle of this operation? How much time it is between disconnecting the mass storage and switching into the sleep mode?
Seems plausible, will try to lengthen the timspan a little (currently it is maybe 30-45 sec)

Can you compare running processes and system/ram load before and after the mass storage mode? Maybe you find one with high activity.

Try on terminal:

ps ax

Do you really need the sleep mode for that 30 minutes?

I just close the lid and the dark screen does its best for such short standy time.

Last edited by a moderator:
tried something different last friday:

• ejected the sd on Windows
  • waited ~ one minute (and checked there was no SD activity still going on)
  • closed the MSM dialog on the Pandora
  • disconnected the USB cord
  • closed the lid
  • openend her after ~ 40 min again, and played some NES
  • after about one hour, closed the emulator and put her into sleep
  • maybe 2 or 3 hours later I tried to wake her up again => crashed

A couple of thoughts:

Are you sure it has anything to do with the use of the mass storage mode?   perhaps it would do the same for any prolonged period of sleep?

Does your Pandora ever reboot when bumped? 

- Neelix

A couple of thoughts:

Are you sure it has anything to do with the use of the mass storage mode? perhaps it would do the same for any prolonged period of sleep?
Seems the most likely reason to me. Especially on weekends the Pandora usually resides in sleep mode for 8+ hours sometimes even the whole weekend, and I can't remember having problems waking her up.
Does your Pandora ever reboot when bumped? 
no

Back