System Disk Error

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
My little brother has become delete-happy and erased something that Windows 98 obvouisly needs to run. Now, the responsibility comes down on me to fix it YET FUCKING AGAIN.

I turn the PC on and it says 'System Disk Error', Insert and try again. And no, there isn't a floppy in there.

Bascially my problem is I have neither the Windows 98 CD nor a bootdisk, and my laptop doesn't have a floppy disk port.

I wanted to ask does anyone know what I should do? Do you think buying a USB floppy port, then getting a copy of the cd image would suffice?

Does your computer have a setup screen, like when you first boot it up alot of computers have f12 to run setup. If so, go into the setup and see if it has been changed to boot from the A: drive first, if so, change that back to C:

Also, if you can get into the setup menu, disable the A: drive all together and see if that works.

Iorgy77 posted on Aug 20 2004 at 01:22 PM said:
Are you sure he didnt get into the laptops bios and change the bootdrive or harddrive settings?
Sorry I wasn't clear; he's fucked my P.C., not this laptop. But I can't make a bootdisk with this laptop is what I meant.
I've tried messing around with the bios etc., looks like I'm going have to get a boot disk anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could download a boot disk from HERE, go to DOS - Windows 9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent Bootdisks and get the win98 oem or the win me oem, then "borrow" a win98 cd.

You could make a bootable CD and boot off of that.

Or, you could have one of us send you a boot disk.

EDIT: I think some of you guys are missing the point. He can't make a boot disk because the machine with the floppy drive does not boot.

Back