T9 style wordprediction notepad.

Miktar

Still Fresh
If you've ever used a cellphone, you've probably experienced the 'word prediction' style of typing it has. Each number has 3 letters associated with it, when you press the numbers that closely resemble the word (like 'hat' is 4-2-8), it checks the numbers against a hashtable of words and gives you the word you're looking for (or a list of words closest to it).

Due to the control scheme of the GP (the analogue stick), I think a similair system would work better than the 'quadrant' system that Windups has.

Basically, the screen has the notepad, if you press select you get the menu. On the right, is a small 'number pad' with the numbers and letters ( 1 = space, 2 = ABC, 3=DEF etc). If you press up on the stick, it selects 2. If you press down, it selects 8

Anyone get what I mean? :)

I get what ya mean, and it does sound like an interesting idea.. but does it really make getting the word you want any faster? You can get relatively short words quickly enough if you're experienced with the typing system that the phone uses, and perhaps for the GP32 too. Still, if it does prove useful, and if there's time to do it, there may be chance it will be included in a future version of Wind-Ups through the notepad part of the utility. :)

Using the Windups quadrant system, the max I could get was about 58 letters a minute, which isn't very fast. With the T9 system, I think you can get up to 30 -words- a minute, if the system is responsive.

The thing is, it constantly shows you a list of words that match what you're typing, much like a PDA system, so you don't always have to -complete- the word. For example, the word 'complete' doesn't have many other numerical matches, so you type 'compl' and the only results are 'complete' and 'compliment', and if you wanted compliment, you simply hit select then start to select it from the dropdown list. You just saved yourself writing out 'iment'.

I think that qualifies as a major speed increase.

Perhaps combining the word hashtable with the windups quadrant would work too.

Back