Tablet Functionality

MilanC said:
My handwriting is quite good (though small), and I only use print... so no problem :)

I might try graffiti-clones, too. Simpler letters -> faster writing? (after learning curve, of course)
There is one -- just one! -- non-Newton character recognizer that I use and like. It's called Decuma Alphabetic and it's on my Symbian UIQ-based SE P910i phone.

Unfortunately, it only exists for a selected set of mobile OSs and Linux certainly isn't one of them. It's main advantages are that it recognizes naturally drawn characters and is designed to fit in as small a piece of lcd real estate as possible. It's pretty fast: the P910i has a removable QWERTY thumbboard, which I took off a week after I purchased Decuma: I could scribble faster than I could thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karel Jansens said:
There is one -- just one! -- non-Newton character recognizer that I use and like. It's called Decuma Alphabetic...

Unfortunately, it only exists for a selected set of mobile OSs and Linux certainly isn't one of them...

But in the notices on right side of page you linked is:

Handwriting Recognition Updates
* Zi signs handwriting-recognition software licensing deal with Hitachi
* Hitachi Ltd. Selects Zi Corporation's Decuma Japanese Handwriting Recognition Software
* Zi Announces Nintendo Deployment of Decuma Korean for Use in Nintendo DS Portable Video Game System
* Zi Corporation Announces Decuma Integration with MediaTek and Licence with Konka
* Zi Corporation Announces Integration with Qtopia Greenphone

So, I guess, it is possible but rather not expectable.

peca said:
Karel Jansens said:
There is one -- just one! -- non-Newton character recognizer that I use and like. It's called Decuma Alphabetic...

Unfortunately, it only exists for a selected set of mobile OSs and Linux certainly isn't one of them...

But in the notices on right side of page you linked is:

Handwriting Recognition Updates
* Zi signs handwriting-recognition software licensing deal with Hitachi
* Hitachi Ltd. Selects Zi Corporation's Decuma Japanese Handwriting Recognition Software
* Zi Announces Nintendo Deployment of Decuma Korean for Use in Nintendo DS Portable Video Game System
* Zi Corporation Announces Decuma Integration with MediaTek and Licence with Konka
* Zi Corporation Announces Integration with Qtopia Greenphone

So, I guess, it is possible but rather not expectable.

I've been reading and hearing a lot about announcing this and partnering that in the handwriting recognition field over the years, and surprizingly few of those announcings were ever more than a press release.

I recently had an elaborate email conversation with a RitePen employee, who said they were looking into porting RiteScript to Linux platforms. Apparently their biggest fear was that "Linux users want everything for free", which tells me that market research was not figuring very high on their priority list for the "intnded port".

Back