Taking Screenshots From Emulators

Duddyroar

Website
www.vc-reviews.com
I want to take screengrabs from emulators on the GP2X and I was wondering how many of them support this feature? I seem to recall that Temper (PC Engine) has an 'img' folder which I assume is for storing screengrabs.

Does anyone know of any other emulators that carry this feature? I think it would be a good idea to include it in all of them - most PC-based emulators do this.

I'd really like PicoDrive to feature this, as it's easily my most-played emulator. :)

Duddyroar said:
I want to take screengrabs from emulators on the GP2X and I was wondering how many of them support this feature? I seem to recall that Temper (PC Engine) has an 'img' folder which I assume is for storing screengrabs.
*shakes head*

Do you want this feature?

I'd only do bmp though, nothing compressed.

And it'd only store names sequentially, not something you'd enter (ie, <rom_name>_number.bmp)

EDIT: In the mean time, it's possible to extract them from savestates, for both Temper and Picodrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a feature I would certainly be keen to see in all emulators.

From a personal viewpoint, I'm a freelance writer and do a lot of features on retro games, so being able to take screengrabs on the GP2X would be a lot easier than doing it on the PC (I'm on my home PC for maybe an hour each night but I'm on my GP2X a lot more as I can take it to work).

I'm aware this is quite a selfish request but surely it wouldn't demand too much effort from a coding point of view?

Exophase - if you could try and include this with the new version of Temper it would be excellent. And the sequential naming method would be perfect, too. :)

Duddyroar said:
Exophase - if you could try and include this with the new version of Temper it would be excellent. And the sequential naming method would be perfect, too. :)
Secretly, I added the feature as soon as I read the thread ^_-

ok I've "added" that too.. by writing a separate app for the job. This way I won't have to update all emus (including the future ones).

http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/gshot.zip

After you start it, you can configure a button (or combo of them) to take a screenshot, and then send the program to the background. After that, start your app/emu/whatever as usual, and press whatever you configured to take screenshots. It also can be used over command line too (./gshot.gpu <file>), and works with most programs I tested (some results here). More details in the readme, source here.

Can someone test this on F200?

Just tested on my F200 and I can confirm it works like a dream!

In fact, this is even better than what I was asking for as it can be used with ANY programme! I've tried it with all my emulators and it works great!

Fantastic work notaz! Thanks a lot for doing this! :)

notaz said:
ok I've "added" that too.. by writing a separate app for the job. This way I won't have to update all emus (including the future ones) ...
:-| Awesome notaz, it works really perfect

Many thanks man!

notaz said:
ok I've "added" that too.. by writing a separate app for the job. This way I won't have to update all emus (including the future ones).

After you start it, you can configure a button (or combo of them) to take a screenshot, and then send the program to the background. After that, start your app/emu/whatever as usual, and press whatever you configured to take screenshots. It also can be used over command line too (./gshot.gpu <file>), and works with most programs I tested (some results here). More details in the readme, source here.

two big thumbs up! This is a very useful tool. Thanks a lot.

notaz said:

FINALY a useful Screenshot Program. Great! :) Again, notaz saved the day, I'm waiting since I have a GP2X for such a tool. Now it's easy to show problems in programs graphicaly. I had many situations in the past, where I wanted to show the Devs some things but without Screenshots it's not easy.

notaz, all I can say is:
scdendxo6.png

And you use a ".de" domain, nice. ^_^

notaz said:
b_o_b said:
two big thumbs up! This is a very useful tool. Thanks a lot.
May be it needs a newspost, then?

Definitely! This is great for easy bug explaining like fusion power commented. Also easy to make screenshots for reviewers / bloggers and you can join game competitions that need screenshots of high scores.

Back