Release Teeworlds port

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Hi,

I tried to port Teeworlds, v0.6.1, on the Pandora.

The game is a "retro multiplayer shooter".

It use OpenGL, and is available on many system.

I converted the OpenGL -> OpenGL-ES code (using the excellent wiki here http://pandorawiki.o...to_GLES_from_GL).

It works well, but, the sound doesn't. If I try to activate Sound, the soft Segfault at start, some memory corruption somewhere...

It is on the repo here: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=teeworlds_ptitseb

Here, find a screenshot of the game (taken from the Pandora): previews1.png.
The game is pretty, fluidity is good (at least at 1Ghz, didn't test at lower speed), but I didn't find a good control combinaison to make it fun to play. The nubs are too slow (for my taste), and the touchscreen is not really usable (as the game capture & move the mouse, there is a offset and the cursor is not where you tap).

History log:
========

v0.6.2.07
------------

• Update to latest version 0.6.2

v0.6.1.06
------------

• Remove some libs from the PND, so default firmware's one are used. This should improve compatibility.
v0.6.1.05
------------

• Added missing libs
  • Used Notaz optimized SDL with mouse mod
v0.6.1.04
------------

• Input are back to their orginal form (no more invisible borders)
  • Touchscreen will not work well.
  • Mouse & Nubs works well.
v0.6.1.03
------------

• First realse that work with sound
  • Touchscreen should work
PS: The problem with the sound was that despite calling SDL_AudioOpen with a certin value of SampleLen, the SDL_Mix is called with en len bigger... If you have Segfault or strange behaviour with sound on SDL, start by checking that...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very cool game...i'm downloading now...i will test on my 256MB ram Pandora...

As the old PND isn't up to date this is great news.

On my Giga Pandora it'd be a great game.

Is it possible to map custom Keys for Right and Left mouseclick?

R and L would be great, custom would be even better.

OK tested on my CC pandora with 256MB ram @600MHz

It run and the speed is good (with some occasional slow down...i don't know if will be internet connection..)

I can confirm that enabling sound the game didn't start at all segfault and came back to desktop.

Also using touch is impossible to play and with nubs i find difficulty...is too slow movement..

Did you try out Nub configurator?

Maybe it helps if you improve the mouse speed.

In will try it with TV-out and mouse and Keyboard tomorrow or on weekend.

How about: Move whit the DPAD, Aim whit the right Nub, and Jump and Shoot whit the Shoulderbuttons.., this is my Quake 2, and Duke Nukem 3D Config, and its realy awesome for shooters :)

How about: Move whit the DPAD, Aim whit the right Nub, and Jump and Shoot whit the Shoulderbuttons.., this is my Quake 2, and Duke Nukem 3D Config, and its realy awesome for shooters :)

Controls are fully configurable in the game. I tried a config similar to what you prposed, but I found the numbs to slow to aim... But maybe there are come parameters to make the mouse faster in the game. I didn't search too long.

I tested the PND

3 times my Pandora crashed and to reflash.

It happened during the configuration menu and I wasn't able to start a game.

Mouse movement is not fluid.

For me it is completely unusable.

It's on a 1 giga Pandora.

Should I redownload the PND?

Hum, it's strange, I suspect something is wrong with the binary, I memory corruption somewhere. It trigger when activating sound, but may be, depending on configuration, it trigger somewhere else too. I am trying to have a another compiler setup to recompile everything, but the damn gcc 4.7.2 doesn't want to be compiled...

Are you launching it with SZ ? I assume you have USB activate ? If yes, can you try without USB, just for trying (maybe after re-downloading the PND).

USB disabled

Launched with SuperZaxxon

I changed my profile name, changed language into German and set my country to German (maybe there's some problem.

I'll download it again now and delete my appdata folder.

EDIT:

This time I only changed controls.

Jump and shoot to shoulder buttons and Grappling hook to - (as it's my L2 button by default).

After some seconds of gaming my Pandora froze.

Everything was disabled except wifi.

Hum, strange :( I have played at least a minute (and then give up after being fragged 4 or 5 times) on my Rebirth Pandora OC to 1Ghz. I guess there is something wrong in the binary. I must recompile this, with less optimization (but I think I allready tried with no optim, but I'm not sure now), and with an other gcc if I can (still fighting with gcc 4.7.2)

I'll also try on my CC Pandora.

EDIT:

NO.

I could try a little l longer and was playing alone.

After the doorbell rang and I got some package, the game froze and I had to reset.

Honestly, this game probably needs a different kind of aiming to work very well, probably pointing the nub in the direction you want to shoot. The mouse aim is cruddy on Abuse, and while I haven't played this, I'm sure it must be just as bad.

You could have a look at how lunixbochs does the aiming in his port of inside a starfilled sky. Works quite well imho.

The port is too unstable now. I still don't understand why activating sound make the game crash. What is corrupting the memory? I will make an arhcive of the modified sources and put them here, so other can take a look.

I though it was the sdl-config --cflags that was missing, but it seems the compile script take it into account (but I'm not sure, I will try forcing the flags, as the -DREENTRANT or something looks important).

Also, I tried to compile the vanilla Teeworld with MesaGL, and I have the same crash with sound. But it was some times ago, maybe I should retry to be sure.

I'm triing to get Valgrind running, to see if it can help.

Does TeeWorlds have a singleplayer option or is it strictly multiplayer? I've also had no luck setting up a local multiplayer game.....

I didn't found single player game on Teeworld, only multi-player. But I suppose it is possible to setup a private server and be alone on it. But it will be boring. I had no problem with the network code with Teeworld. Once connected to the internet, lauching Teeworld show rapidly servers to connect. Maybe some ports to open on your router ?

I tried recompile, with differents options, with "-D_REENTRANT" forced, with vanilla MesaGL or GL-ES. Still the same, the sound make it crash randomly at start. :(  .

Back