Texas Instruments and Sitara processors

fantomid

Very Active Member
With this kind of news from LinuxGizmos, TI spins Cortex-A9 Sitara SoC, I imagine we could have some SDK and support from TI if Sitara SoC is used.

More people could be probably more invested in porting and creating software.

I don't know if the AM5K2Ex processor could be a candidate for a Pyra upgrade.

Just a thought before the Libre Software Meeting next week-end in France.

More informations on Sitara here and here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems completely unsuitable for mobile use. It's for industrial applications.

Are you aware it's 1Ghz single core? It has other features on it instead, which are useless to a console/netbook.

It seems completely unsuitable for mobile use. It's for industrial applications.

Are you aware it's 1Ghz single core? It has other features on it instead, which are useless to a console/netbook.
I didn't check all the technical documentation but the AM5K2Ex is dual or quad core SoC (at up to 1.4 GHz)

The point is if TI continue to work on Sitara it may have a day a more console-aware version with Cortex A15.

On the AM5K2Ex, you got for example two PCIe Gen2 Controllers and 10-Gigabit Ethernet (10-GbE) Switch Subsystem which is not required for an handheld device.

But AM5K2Ex is no Sitara processor, it's in another series.

The news article you linked talks about AM437x which is a single core 1Ghz A9 based SoC. And they are all single core, in the Sitara series.

Yeah, and although the article says AM437x is a big advancement over the very budget-oriented AM335x it really isn't. Mainly moves from the Cortex-A8 to a Cortex-A9 of modestly higher clock speed, the L2 cache staying at a paltry 256KB and the GPU still an extremely meager SGX530. It probably can offer over 40% more processing power for general code but for NEON stuff I'd actually prefer the 1GHz A8 in the Pandora. It's cool that they're upgrading the product line, but this is very weak - I'd have expected something more like a somewhat cutdown OMAP4 (like AM335x was a modestly cutdown OMAP3), not this.

Could be interesting if those four RISC coprocessors are useful for some project.

Last edited by a moderator:
But AM5K2Ex is no Sitara processor, it's in another series.

The news article you linked talks about AM437x which is a single core 1Ghz A9 based SoC. And they are all single core, in the Sitara series.
Correct. You are right.

In the Sitara series, one day, TI may have a Cortex-A15 processor.

Back