text viewer

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Can a text viewer that reads the text to you (like the narrator in windows) be created for the gp32?

i dont know it take alot of power for the voice engine it might be possibe but i dont think it would be worth it.

If you want to hear books being told to u ya can use the software the converts the text to a wav file then just mp3 it :D

:ph34r:

that would be cool, but aren't we talking about large file sizes now?? :unsure:

Well you'd need to write a speech engine, which probably isn't going to happen. Unless someone has the source to a speech engine, which is unlikely!

taras posted on Aug 13 2003 said:
Well you'd need to write a speech engine, which probably isn't going to happen. Unless someone has the source to a speech engine, which is unlikely!
Actually, there's a bunch out there. The one I can think of off the top of my head is called SayzMe, but I don't know how well it actually works. However, I *do* know that my old PowerMac 6100 (60Mhz) could do great text-to-speech while doing 3D rendering, so chances are it's not as CPU intensive as people think. :)

Ahhh, here we go, we've also got CMU's Festival, and Epos.

I'd say that if you're interested, there's enough codebases here to attempt to port. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Both C64 and Atari ST had this, although they did not sound that good, The lyrics in Das Boot "Das Boot, 1 2 3 Techno, etc" was made with the ST version ;)

I think it was called SAM on the C64, There was a very funny Demo where it read from a childrens book and made all the voices, a big troll, a little scared girl etc. Awsome stuff :D

animator75 posted on Aug 14 2003 said:
I think it was called SAM on the C64, There was a very funny Demo where it read from a childrens book and made all the voices, a big troll, a little scared girl etc. Awsome stuff :D
Hahahaha I totally forgot about that, but I remember it now!

That did rock. :)

unit3 posted on Aug 14 2003 said:
animator75 posted on Aug 14 2003 said:
Hahahaha I totally forgot about that, but I remember it now!

That did rock. :)
I am SAM, the voice automated program for the cawwwwmodore sixty-four compuuuuuuuuuteeeeeeeer ...

:)
Having something like a speech synth for the GP32 wpuld be really cool. The Atari ST version was a .TTP (Tos Takes Parameters) application, so if you use Tos 2.06 all you should have to do is to drop a textfile on the Speech.TTP icon. Havn't tested if it works on Castaway yet.

Back