THE 64 - Computer and Handheld Console

Whoa really!? Just by looking at the fingers of the guy holding it, he's going to have problems pressing the keys

Huh, never thought about that, I guess when they were talking about it as a mini desktop, I figured you'd still have the keyboard

I'd buy the case to put a Raspberry Pi into.
You know, I was wondering what how a kickstarter for literally a case with keyboard built in and support for a RaspPi inside would fair? I mean, when I'm looking at these retro consoles like the MEGA65, I'm not totally interested in a C65 device (hell, as it was never released, I'm not sure how much software will be available for it), but more a standalone unit that you can plug into a TV.

I certainly wouldn't know where to start with costing such a project. I guess it'd be plastic moulds, keyboard switches (cherry or compatible) and keycaps, with maybe an arduino board inside to convert the keys into a USB HID device

You know, I wish sometimes these people would keep updates in the same place

[doublepost=1496322385,1496322233][/doublepost]Don't know if that works for anyone else - doesn't for me, so here's the IndieGoGo version

Something for the weekend Sir…?
As it’s a long bank holiday weekend we thought it was only right for a sneak peek of some of the physical ‘plastic trial’ and associated 'chip tests', photos of which were taken by us when out in China earlier this week gone..
ozvpbnxhesi1n9nfzrb0.jpg

o4yurq6awi5asidwf5jq.jpg

Everything is happening now, and we are gearing up for E3 in the USA with key retailers and so on, so have no fear it’s moving on…
Plus in answer to the question is the full sized keyboard is coming, yes it is as well, more on that soon, it’s just the mini is further ahead in the production schedule, as demand is expected to be higher in retail for that globally, so the various versions of the brand is being prioritised over the next few weeks for the obvious reasons because of sheer volume to be made..
nlmqz1sqgiio3xmt59lw.jpg

uqlnhv2osjzrnjx84y5q.jpg

We will show more of course over the coming days and weeks, and we will of course tell more, very very soon as well!
Keep watching… !!
PS - company name blurred for commercial reasons at the moment, but it is real and we were there

Isn't that joystick one of the C64 DTV type Plug 'n' Play devices from a few years back? When was that mentioned on the campaign, this is the 1st I've heard of it (other than one of the team worked on the original)

I thought they were building 2 items; a slim C64 breadbin type computer and a hand-held.

Then they added in the mini thing, now a C64 in a joystick?

There's obviously no end to their ability.

Isn't that joystick one of the C64 DTV type Plug 'n' Play devices from a few years back?
It is, but it's roots are based on a ye-olde joystick much like the one on my desk: The Compeition Pro

In addition, I like how they think the mini is going to sell better, despite not having real keys (so fails as a desktop) and isn't the handheld. Perhaps I just don't understand the Mini market, but for me, it just seems useless junk. I'm still not sure that they should be prioritising it as they think it will sell better compared to the devices that are *actually* backed; but then on the other hand, I can see it being easier to make (no keyboard necessary)

Plus in answer to the question is the full sized keyboard is coming, yes it is as well, more on that soon, it’s just the mini is further ahead in the production schedule, as demand is expected to be higher in retail for that globally

I wonder if the introduction of new products is in some way related to the comment by Lee Fogerty: RCL can prove in court they own The64.

The thing is, they actually might do. Chris Smith is the guy with the brains behind the original Vega - he designed the PCB. It's nothing specific to the Spectrum, it's literally a very simple SOC with an emulator in the firmware and some connections to the controls. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for him to have used the exact same PCB design for The64, in which case RCL (unless they have 1. failed to pay him his dues and 2. Failed to stipulate that they own the hardware as part of his leaving contract) almost certainly do own it.

The64 is probably an SOC on a board that runs a C64 emulator, the same as the Vega.

What's gonna get interesting is whether or not RCL have really bought it from him, and paid him. The jury's still out on that one.

A new update on IndieGoGo

Once more here is the latest ‘end of week’ update for you all on Friday the 9th June 2017!

Check out the latest photos of the various parts of the range taking shape, including the joystick progress, obviously these are not the final production units, that’s coming ASAP, but as you can see we are now zooming ahead!

p0hgwjrwxqtzt4cxlleg.jpg

pksajulzcp857o4ta2ju.jpg

auih8bkkf9ssmiis1dqi.jpg

wkc3vfd2cympmsuvlvnb.jpg

qbppusvqj0u3vkulb6fo.jpg

So you have photos of PCB prototypes and initial fittings of them inside THE64 Mini, you have joysticks in progress for the whole range, and also a sneaky preview of the full sized keyboard mappings in progress as well!

Enjoy, and keep watching us, it’s all coming ASAP!

Edit: The Mini does seem a very bizarre device. Lots of dead space inside, and yes, keys are now confirmed to be fake.

Neither of these was on the original campaign, I take it they're going to sell these to raise funds to build the actual items people funded

I'd be more than annoyed if I'd backed this with no sign of the products I'd paid for though.

If the mini had Raspberry Pi compatible holes I'd buy it in a flash

So, if you weren't aware, Thalamus are making a return, with some game remasters and some sequels, and they've also mentioned that some (if not all) of the titles will be heading towards the "THE64"

They've also been posting more games, and a pic of the "mini" device. I still don't get the push for the mini

20707989_1713219452316622_4422236829787217165_n.jpg

Some people just want a plug-n-play C64... that doesn't have a keyboard.
If I was a backer though, I'd be pretty fed up with them pushing the mini when it wasn't in the campaign, but I'm not, so I can wait to see if the fullsize actually makes it to reality, and whether it's actually any good first

If I was a backer though, I'd be pretty fed up with them pushing the mini when it wasn't in the campaign

Yep. They care more about their Facebook followers, and the new mini version than their backers. Probably partly due to the fact that they didn't get the funding they wanted from it.

Even the updates for the original ZX Vega were better than this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think the mini might be a fund raiser for them to get enough cash to do the others. Who knows though
The did claim to have an investor I think atg one point

I really like the look of the mini but as others have said without a working keyboard what's the point.

Back