THE 64 - Computer and Handheld Console

Just adding my two cents:

A devboard is usually a reference board designed by a partner of an SoC manufacturer.
For example, the OMAP5432-uEVM we're using is the one for the OMAP5. It exists to evaluate the hardware, test your software and you usually also get the schematics so you can use that to design your own board.

In case of the C64 Mini, there shouldn't be a big difference, as it doesn't have anything the devboard doesn't have, so basically, they could just slap the same layout on their custom board and that's it.
(Stuff like the Pyra or GPD Win are a bit more complex as things like battery management or additional hardware is added).

So yes, they can call that reference board "devboard", as that's exactly what it is. And they can use it to demonstrate and develop the software, as the hardware is basically the same.

They just can't claim it's their own custom made board, as that would be a lie.

But yes, at some time, they should also show it running on their own hardware ;)

TheC64 Mini has had it's PEGI rating sorted.

Very interesting considering the team has two of the original Vega+ creators on it and how long after the Vega+ The64 Mini was started.

It looks like this will hit the shelves before the Vega+

I can't find it doing a search on Pegis site. Maybe it's not loaded on the site yet.

According to their last update , The C64 mini is now in mass production

The Ultimate64 is out.

Way better project tbh ;)

I got me one of the first 25 units. I hope it will arrive somewhere this week \o/
20170818232724c.jpg

(This picture shows 2 of them)

The Ultimate64 is out.

Way better project tbh ;)
Wow! Already? Neat... Shame it's just a mainboard though. I'd really love a case/keyboard combo with it. That's what I'm still holding out for from Individual Computers (or if Ultimate64 finds a case/keyboard package). I'm very tempted to dip my toes in... as I guess my original C64 mainboard won't last forever, and this would be a nice replacement for it

Wow! Already? Neat... Shame it's just a mainboard though. I'd really love a case/keyboard combo with it. That's what I'm still holding out for from Individual Computers (or if Ultimate64 finds a case/keyboard package). I'm very tempted to dip my toes in... as I guess my original C64 mainboard won't last forever, and this would be a nice replacement for it
With one of these you won't need a diskdrive or 1541 Ultimate anymore either. :)
I have plenty (broken or incomplete) C64's laying around to put the board in. I just have to figure out if I'll choose a breadbin or C64C case. ;)
Also I promised my wife to get rid of some 64's so I might be selling some soon, aswell as some SIDFX boards etc. too as I most probably won't need them anymore because the Ultimate64 has 2 SID sockets *Grin*

With one of these you won't need a diskdrive or 1541 Ultimate anymore either. :)
I don't have either anyway, I have a TurboChameleon plugged in the back of my breadbin... You know, the only thing I thought it was missing was an ethernet port, but it looks like I can plug an rr-net card inside the TC cart to get ethernet support, so I might look into getting one of those. But then, I'd probably never write anything with ethernet support (considering I've not even done anything with TigerMoth for months, though maybe that would benefit from the Chameleon's CPU accelerator), so it's probably not worth it.

Being able to upload something to your 64 is very nice indeed though easyflash 3 carts can start stuff over usb which is nice too. With the freed up cartridge port I guess I can use the best of both at the same time on the ultimate64. I missed out on the chameleon, it's a nice addition to any 64 setup. I got a demonstration of one at one of the X parties some time ago. Really nice but unobtainable atm.

Being able to upload something to your 64 is very nice indeed though easyflash 3 carts can start stuff over usb which is nice too. With the freed up cartridge port I guess I can use the best of both at the same time on the ultimate64. I missed out on the chameleon, it's a nice addition to any 64 setup. I got a demonstration of one at one of the X parties some time ago. Really nice but unobtainable atm.
There's a super xpensive one on ebay at the minute, but icomp.de's latest news says their going to be making some new ones

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/33/items/merry-christmas-from-team-icomp.html
We will make new production runs of Chameleon, Micromys, Indivision ECS and the A4000/CD32 version of our flicker fixer Indivision AGA MK2, and also take the chance to update the designs. It is not necessary to buy these products for insane prices on internet auction platforms

I guess the shame with the chameleon is that I can't buy certain cart games for the c64... that said, I ordered the disks instead.

I'd still love to try and write my own 8bit machine in VHDL for it... put pipe dreams... I'm struggling with getting anything done at the minute really. I was tempted to see if I could just get a copy of the VIC-II source, and rather writing a full machine, just try and write an "expanded" VIC-II chip.

The 64 Mini seems interesting, or the big The64, as my Sister had the C64 back then, and i played a lot of the games back then,
Loading Times where quite long, but the games where fun..
Unfortialy i dotnt know where ore C64 gone, so a Retro C64 would be quite cool :)

I still have the Manual of the C64.,,

Dos this The64 or the Mini 64 have also a Port for SD Carts to load Giana Sisters, and other Games that cant be licensed from the company ??

The Games that came whit the Mini C64 looks interesting, but outside of Summer and Winter Games nothing whe had 30 Years ago..

I'm annoyed that they've used the old swap the $ for £ that happens so often, yet again the UK gets screwed.

$70 = £49.21

£50 seems a much more reasonable price.

Don't forget the old tax loophole; either USians can get it tax free, or they're used to getting prices quoted tax free anyway. For us, that price has to include 17.5% VAT because it's a decidedly luxury good, and 49.27*1.175=57.90 GBP. It's still less than 70GBP, but only a little over ten quid or so.

Hopefully the £70 is RRP and it will be discounted.

Without the working keyboard it's just a toy, and an expensive one at that.

Back