The Big Tech Deals Thread.

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
There have been at least four SD card threads this month alone. With Pandora approaching and SD prices plummeting, I thought we should consolidate all of our SD information in one thread. New info can be posted here, stray threads can be merged here.

I've gone through recent posts to get a list of online stores by location. I won't bother posting prices, because they'll be out of date by the time you finish reading this.

I'll start the list off nice and simple, and will expand on it as we go. If your country needs to be added, sing out. I'm not sure how to break the continents down in the context of online shopping, apologies if I have offended your family.

Let's start with what I know.

AUSTRALIA
www.staticice.com.au
www.myshopping.com.au

ASIA

UNITED STATES
www.buy.com
www.amazon.com
www.newegg.com
www.7dayshop.com
www.ebuyer.com/
www.meritline.com
dealnews.com/memory/prices/Secure-D...SD

UNITED KINGDOM
www.amazon.co.uk
www.memorybits.co.uk
www.mymemory.co.uk

EUROPE

POLAND
www.allegro.pl
www.komputronik.pl

TURKEY

www.smart-bs.com (gp2x/wiz/pandora distributor)
www.gittigidiyor.com

GERMANY

SPAIN

FRANCE

[YOUR COUNTRY HERE, ASK ME HOW]

If you have technical questions (SD vs SDHC? SDIO? Speed classes, wut?) start here. If you've still got a question, post it below.

Likewise, if you've got a hot price, good site, or a complaint about my attitude, post here.

Last edited by a moderator:
U.S. of A.
Buy.com always has great deals on sdhc cards. This week in fact 8GB class 4 on sale for $20 USD. But hey, like that oldie song goes "You better shop around."

www.offtek.co.uk is a good one for UK.

They're prices are a little higher than the 'best' deals but usually include free shipping. They seem reluctant to stock 32Gb cards right at this moment though...

In the U.S. buydig.com has great prices on Sandisk SDHC with free shipping.

Personally i'd wait till Pandora ships in November to get the lowest $.

Its already been mentioned in one of the other 'sd card' threads, but here it is again :)

Best I've seen in the UK so far and free delivery too ...

play.com

Any reason why UK isn't under the Europe list? We may not be mainland Europe, but we are still part of it.

oblivioner said:
Any ETA for 64gb sdhc cards?
Apparently, "end of 2008" by a few of the big companies, but whether they'll actually manage that I've no idea.

There's some really cheap deals from China. They take a while to ship (to the USA at least) but it's free shipping on everything.

$3 SDHC reader.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6858~r.83761366

$34.12 8GB SDHC Transcend card.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10679~r.83761366

$18.28 4GB SDHC Transcend card.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10533~r.83761366

How ever, for a American based site. Check out PacificGeek.com. They don't have many choices. But what they have is a good price from what i can see.

SDHC cards:
http://www.pacificgeek.com/searchresults.asp?search=SDHC

I found and bought a usb sdhc reader for only $.50, which you can find here. They ship worldwide, and it took about 1 week and a half for it to get to me in the US from Hong Kong.

Hm... I was thinking about the possibility that this thread could be a catch-all "supplementary hardware" thread. Reason being: there're a few devices I'll definitely be getting and it'd be great to have a one-stop shop for info.

For example: USB hubs guaranteed to work with Linux. USB 2.0 keyboards and mice. SDHC cards. EVDO Internet dongles.

Naturally we'd only include hardware that already has open-source Linux drivers, so at the very least if they aren't included out-of-the-box, it'd be reasonably easy to port them.

Good idea? Bad idea?

ShyGuy said:
Hm... I was thinking about the possibility that this thread could be a catch-all "supplementary hardware" thread. Reason being: there're a few devices I'll definitely be getting and it'd be great to have a one-stop shop for info.

Agreed. Modified title slightly and moved to Off Topic.

Your call. My intention was to help reduce the clutter in the Pandora forum (I've lost track of how many SD card threads I've seen, all of them technically off topic). I won't bother to maintain it here.

Back