The cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewMalone

Still Fresh
Re: PANDORAS SOLD OUT

WhyKlef said:
What is that picture that Azure has??
An irritating animated gif with a size of 679kb generating unnecessary traffic.
Not cool in a forum.

it's called the cache, people.
jesus, I thought this was 2008, not 1996.

That sucks for you PayPal guys :(
Congrats to Craig & Co. on the numbers sold though. I'd have been one of them, but I couldn't get the money until I sold my arcade machine this weekend. Damn bad timing :lol:
Roll on next year :wink:

PoisonedV said:

That sorts out the bandwidth, but still doesn't do anything to appease the irritating!

PANDORAS SOLD OUT

PoisonedV said:

You haven't thought it through, have you?

1. Many have their browser set to delete all cached stuff and cookies on close or cache to ram disk for security reasons.
2. When new users hit the forum for the very first time, they don't have it cached.
3. If a regular user accesses the forum from another computer, it's not in cache anyway.

An average post like this has around 600-800 byte, that gif is 679kb.
Say, a very prominently placed article about the pandora on a major website brings in new users massively accessing the superhot thread in the forum on which Azure posted along with his 679kb signature, go figure....
And as much as I normally hate it, this time I just can't resist adding the infamous: "What if everone did it?"

Well, if that does not make you think twice I go and tell Gordon Brittas to elaborate on that subject a little further and let us all have an emergency drill. :wink:

MatthewMalone said:
And as much as I normally hate it, this time I just can't resist adding the infamous: "What if everone did it?"

while we are at it, I do not know about the others, but I'm very distracted by such animations and have trouble reading sorrounding text. If poster does not wish to be read, fine; but it also affects posts under and above.

Winners use Firefox + Adblock. ;) If a pic is stealn ur bandwith or aggravatn ur boss, you just right click it and block it. Works great for crappy avatars too.

MatthewMalone said:
PoisonedV said:

You haven't thought it through, have you?

1. Many have their browser set to delete all cached stuff and cookies on close or cache to ram disk for security reasons.
2. When new users hit the forum for the very first time, they don't have it cached.
3. If a regular user accesses the forum from another computer, it's not in cache anyway.

An average post like this has around 600-800 byte, that gif is 679kb.
Say, a very prominently placed article about the pandora on a major website brings in new users massively accessing the superhot thread in the forum on which Azure posted along with his 679kb signature, go figure....

Well, if that does not make you think twice I go and tell Gordon Brittas to elaborate on that subject a little further and let us all have an emergency drill. :wink:
first, i have to say, adblock like many others have said, and then theres the extension for opera I can't remember. there are even ways to avoid that stuff by setting system files.

1. its still a small amount to download. people dont view a pandora page, close the browser, and load it up again - at least not anyone normal
2. same as above
3. same as above
and so what? his signature gets ruined then. big deal?
also: the what if everyone did it excuse is bullshit. What if everyone cleaned toilets for a living? What if everyone was a racial extremist? What if everyone had two sets of genatalia?

also: HAHA LOOK AT MY BRITISH COMEDY REFERENCE !!!Red Dwarf!!!!!!!!

Azure said:
Sorry for the bandwidth trauma.

dont apologize to them cunts, you didn't do shit.

U're still not getting it, do U?

Little hint, don't think too self centered (if you can)
Think SERVER---BANDWIDTH---and then SERVER again.

U just don't have a clue. U never learn, do U?

Greetings from Kryton:
SSMMEEEE.... HEEEEE.....

Azure, where did you host the image in your signature?

mods: please wait a couple minutes to lock this.

Ok, thank you for moving the thread. now, seeing how it WASN'T hosted on open pandora since it wasn't an avatar, which btw have to be 19KB or below, it wasn't wasting server bandwidth for openpandora.org

i was right, once again. big surprise.

Statistically, it is more surprising that you were right than that the noob was wrong.

fischju said:
Statistically, it is more surprising that you were right than that the noob was wrong.
you guys seem to mistake me being an asshole with me being incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back