The Communication Cube

With the Pyra running Debian, I reckon getting to 5.16 by just doing apt-get update/upgrade and distupgrade will take a good few years before that's the kernel in use. I'm not how the kernel team decides what will be a LTS kernel, and even on distributions that use the latest and greatest, we're still on 5.14, with 5.15 going through the final pre flight checks now.
Oh for sure it’s not planned to be upstreamed ‘til 5.16 as per the article but is it possible to download packages (is that the right term for this?) from further ahead kernels to further behind ones, just to be able to try out the benefits of that package without having to use a bleeding edge distro?

Oh for sure it’s not planned to be upstreamed ‘til 5.16 as per the article but is it possible to download packages (is that the right term for this?) from further ahead kernels to further behind ones, just to be able to try out the benefits of that package without having to use a bleeding edge distro?
It's not a package, there's already a package probably called zstd which works on old kernels for doing zstd compression and decompression just fine. This is some change to the kernel which supports faster compression and decompression. Exactly how this works isn't stated and I don't know off the top of my head, but since this isn't a security change, I doubt anyone will be backporting it to older kernel sources, which as far as I know is the only way to get new features on old kernels. Meanwhile zstd code exists which works on old kernels and you just may have to wait a little longer for it to complete. Or maybe it's more about being able to put your initcpios in zstd compression, to reduce disc space and enable speedier boots, I'm not sure.

It's not a package, there's already a package probably called zstd which works on old kernels for doing zstd compression and decompression just fine. This is some change to the kernel which supports faster compression and decompression. Exactly how this works isn't stated and I don't know off the top of my head, but since this isn't a security change, I doubt anyone will be backporting it to older kernel sources, which as far as I know is the only way to get new features on old kernels. Meanwhile zstd code exists which works on old kernels and you just may have to wait a little longer for it to complete. Or maybe it's more about being able to put your initcpios in zstd compression, to reduce disc space and enable speedier boots, I'm not sure.
Ah ok and yeah it seems like you can use it for a bunch of different purposes including zram-swap, which on low RAM devices could prove useful.

opinions?

I like a comment I saw that cows are carbon neutral. They eat the grass that sequestered CO2 and emit it again, but the net sum is zero.
I for one, pledge to not spill 4.9 million barrels of oil into the gulf of Mexico.
I would also prohibit volcano's from erupting. Let's fine Canary Island for burping out CO2 into the air.
We need to incentivize sterilization, motivate superspreaders and eat the rich.

Last edited:
I like a comment I saw that cows are carbon neutral. They eat the grass that sequestered CO2 and emit it again, but the net sum is zero.
Cows produce a lot of fertiliser too. But the problem is cows, like us and at the very least pretty much all mammals fart methane, plus as I understand it due to their overcomplicated digestive system they actually end up burping out methane as well. But the big problem with using cows as food is the water usage, because cows eat a lot of grass and a lot of grass drinks a lot of rainwater. Of course, if there was no grass we'd have a massive problem with flash flooding, but if we didn't eat beef we'd farm a lot less for leather, allowing a lot more fields to go fallow, and untended grass just goes to seed every summer, then the stems dry out leaving pretty pure cellulose, which falls over and rots down surprisingly quickly, returning that carbon to the soil (or, if it's especially wet, doesn't and goes on to form peat).

and tree clearing
True enough, but sheep and goats are pretty damn good at that too. To be clear, none of these animals are any more talented than we are at felling trees, but they keep the ground cover close to the ground thereby stopping tree saplings from growing up. It we stopped eating beef but replaced that with lamb then that wouldn't be a win either, and I'm not sure there are enough fish in the sea for us to all eat fish.

True enough, but sheep and goats are pretty damn good at that too. To be clear, none of these animals are any more talented than we are at felling trees, but they keep the ground cover close to the ground thereby stopping tree saplings from growing up. It we stopped eating beef but replaced that with lamb then that wouldn't be a win either, and I'm not sure there are enough fish in the sea for us to all eat fish.
Lol that wasn’t what I meant at all! At least with goats and sheep, silvo-pastoral farming is easily achievable, whereas one of the single biggest contributors to loss of woodland and forest has been tree clearing to facilitate cattle farming.

Reactions: rSl
Lol that wasn’t what I meant at all! At least with goats and sheep, silvo-pastoral farming is easily achievable, whereas one of the single biggest contributors to loss of woodland and forest has been tree clearing to facilitate cattle farming.
I only have a vague instinct for what's going on in the middle of the USA to be honest. Where I live there's probably one sheep for ten humans in this town, and perhaps a horse for every hundred, and they all keep the grass in their fields closely cropped. But then in this country you can trace it back to before the dark ages and there still wasn't much tree cover compared to somewhere on the mainland. At least you can graze sheep and goats on quite steep land which isn't great for trees and absolutely hopeless for cattle.

Bill Gates should be charge for crimes against humanity. Parasitic vulture. Held back technology massively. A disgrace and embarrassment. Makes me want to completely disassociate myself with computers. You should see his place in Karuizawa, Japan. A fucking cement monolith in one of the most beautiful countryside villages. He wanted to get a helicopter pad installed but they said no. Fuck him. Serial liar. He deserves the worst.

Would it be feasible streaming all audio from my windows desktop to a, say, Pi Zero W and having a pair of headphones attached to that? Latency would be my worst enemy I assume

I leave the Outer Banks tomorrow morning. Then it’s a seven hour car ride to my place. My legs feel sore already.

Then it’s a seven hour car ride to my place. My legs feel sore already.

3be22a9547cdb3d37849baa944b75b70.jpg

Looks like someone’s created a Raspberry Pi version of the Pyra* at 08:17 - https://yewtu.be/watch?v=DhiFD-R5aF4

*not the actual Pyra, as in someone hasn’t taken a real Pyra and swapped out the innards for a Raspberry Pi but that they’ve styled a Raspberry Pi UMPC after the Pyra

I leave the Outer Banks tomorrow morning. Then it’s a seven hour car ride to my place. My legs feel sore already.

This World Water Day we challenged people on the streets of Boston to see how far they could carry 5 gallons of water. On average, women and children in developing countries walk 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) and carry 5 gallons everyday day to bring clean water home to their families. Some walk much farther.
How far do you walk for water?

Back