The Communication Cube

In some big city schools German speaking kids make up less than 30 % of classes. They often get treated like crap by the immigrant children.
brussel.png

Tried buying an RPi 5 today, immediately after I received an availability update from a local seller. 3 minutes after the notification they were all gone again :(
I added one yesterday to my basket for ordering and didn't, I'll just wait until I have a really good reason so others can order one first.
I planned to run my NextCloud instance on a RPi5 instead of the 4.

I was talking about "Brennpunktschulen" near the Ghettos.
Foreigners in Dubai's case might just as well be 90 % from Islamic countries. So very little potential for conflict there. There's also virtually no problems with the millions of Ukrainian refugees Germany has taken in.
Last year foreigners made up 22,2 % of Berlins populace. That's not counting folks with dual citizenship, which is very common for Turkish people. And it's not counting second or third generation folks with German citizenship who just don't give a damn about integration.

And to be clear, it doesn't matter what that ID piece of plastic says. It's whether you try to fit in, at least behave like a guest or just don't give a damn at all. Having citizenship does not mean successful integration.

Last edited:
Immigrants are my people. I am one. I relate to them better than natives. Everywhere I go I am treated like a foreigner, I guess. I don't identify with any culture, except retro gamer, hacker skater, punk, music nerd and a few others. I have no close friends who have never lived in foreign countries. Sorry.

Immigrants are my people. I am one. I relate to them better than natives. Everywhere I go I am treated like a foreigner, I guess. I don't identify with any culture, except retro gamer, hacker skater, punk, music nerd and a few others. I have no close friends who have never lived in foreign countries. Sorry.
The first ideas that popped to my mind:
I think that's the point, people want to belong. People that feel like they belong together stick together. And when others join you don't mind until you start feeling you don't belong anymore.
If many others would join the forum we would be happy. If they start talking about stuff except open-handhelds we wouldn't mind but we would create a different section for them. And when they start claiming the Pyra section should be closed and its user banned, we would become unhappy.
I like people that choose to stay where I live; they might even be more motivated to contribute to a nice environment compared to people that are born here. But when people fly ISIS flags and promote actions to get to a world where us locals don't exist anymore, I might just disagree. When moving somewhere it's somewhat expected you adapt a bit to the locals, as people that want to be together usually stick together. If you don't want to adapt a bit, people will wonder why you want to be with them.

Nobody says all immigrants are bad. It's quite easy: just respect others, your hosts, and all is well.
I'm saying that there's a very distinct way which mostly male muslim immigrants behave in (while being fiercly verbally defended by the females). And that way is very much culturally engrained. And the root cause for that is their religion, which sadly is inherently political.

Most people don't care about the difference betwen GNU and Linux. They just need a word to talk about that OS that isn't Windows and Linux is more commonly used, it's simple and sounds good. I think that many people would consider saying "GNU Linux" being just like saying "Microsoft Windows" and nobody likes someone who keeps saying stuff like "Microsoft Windows" when they speak.
That is why you are supposed to say "Gnu slash Linux", "Gnu and Linux" or (as I like to call it) "Gnu plus Linux". "GNU Linux" would refer to GNU's version of Linux, which is Linux-libre, not to the GNU system using Linux as one of it's components.

Though sometimes I just shorten it to "GNU", similar to how people shorten "Android/Linux" (or as I like to call it "Android+Linux") to "Android". "GNU" is even shorter to say than "Linux".

the GNU system using Linux as one of it's components
Not "one of", but rather it's core component (in this composition)
"Gnu plus Linux"
Thus, I'd rather call it Linux plus GNU. A kernel comes before the userland, as in what provides the base for what and as in boot sequence. I mean, Linux ain't just an afterthought here.
"Android/Linux" (or as I like to call it "Android+Linux")
I wouldn't. As I understand it, most of the Android kernel's work's been done in Linux' kernel project, but those kernels are far from being interchangeable. ?

A significantly longer HDMI cable would also draw more power from the output port since it has more resistance?

Edit: Nevermind, HDMI cable plugged/unplugged makes a difference of just 40 mA, that's negligible

Last edited:
"GNU Linux" would refer to GNU's version of Linux, which is Linux-libre, not to the GNU system using Linux as one of it's components.
Ops. You're right. I tend to pronounce GNU/Linux "GNU Linux". I happen to run linux-libre, btw, but still I meant the OS, not the kernel.
I'll try to correct myself, thanks for mentioning it. But old habits die hard...

Though sometimes I just shorten it to "GNU", similar to how people shorten "Android/Linux" (or as I like to call it "Android+Linux") to "Android". "GNU" is even shorter to say than "Linux".
makes sense
Thus, I'd rather call it Linux plus GNU. A kernel comes before the userland, as in what provides the base for what and as in boot sequence. I mean, Linux ain't just an afterthought here.
Pse... Linux gets compiled with gcc, and gcc is part of GNU (I think one can compile the kernel with clang too today? maybe other options?).
libc is GNU (if you use that one).
There're many other parts. But I think it's more GNU than anyithing else because GNU is not a single application, it's a project for a complete OS. Linux is a project for a kernel, not for a complete OS.
Linux is not a GNU project, but GNU adopted linux as "one" ("the" most practically) kernel, os it's kind of part of GNU by inclusion, not by intent or so.
I don't feel too strongly about these thinks, but yes, if short, better GNU than linux (unless you mean the kernel, of course).
Post automatically merged:

A significantly longer HDMI cable would also draw more power from the output port since it has more resistance?
maybe ?
I think resistance is liner with length but quadratic with cross section. So two cables might have the same length but different resistances.
If the material and section is the same, a longer cable should draw more power, but it would also drop more voltage, and at some point it might be too much. But the designer of a longer cable could change the cross section (width) to get back a reasonable resistance.
I bet it also affects induction, cross interference, needed isolation, whatever...
So no idea. I guess the HDMI standard must say something about tolerable values, but I don't know if they relate it to the cable length.

Not "one of", but rather it's core component (in this composition)
1. The core components is one of the components. If it were not then the system would not function because it would be missing one of it's core components.
2. The core component is obviously GNU coreutils. It is even in the name. There is no "core" in "Linux".

Supposedly, the GNU system was started before Linux was released and without any knowledge about Linux. The original kernel would have been Hurd, but when Linux came around they decided to use that instead. This would mean that Linux actually was an afterthought.

I wouldn't. As I understand it, most of the Android kernel's work's been done in Linux' kernel project, but those kernels are far from being interchangeable. ?
I do not know. My knowledge about Linux/Android is limited. Though I vaguely recall Linus Torvalds once saying something like Android being a Linux system. I will base my opinion on that.

I'm just saying, Linux isn't some easily replaceable thing ( - not saying that about GNU either). Does someone have numbers on the projects man-hours?
Is GNU Hurd production-ready, already?

I have never tried Hurd, yet. It seems like the easiest way to get Hurd running right now is by running Debian GNU/Hurd. And recently (this year) they even made the leap to 64-bit on the Intel platform!

I also read something about running Hurd on NixOS, but it seems nothing came of that.

So GNU's not UNIX but Linux is GNU? Pretty stupid if you ask me.
Linux is not UNIX either.
And even if it was, Linux is a kernel.
GNU is a project to build enough free software not to need anything else. It develops some programs and uses others that are free and available, such as Linux.
You can use a GNU system with a Linux kernel or with a Hurd kernel (hardly).
You can't use Linux without some sort of system (GNU, Chrome, Android, whatever).
So the whole system name is GNU. The kernel name is Linux. And if you want to specify which possible configuration of GNU you mean you can say GNU with Linux, or GNU+Linux or GNU/Linux.
It's not so hard.

Nijigen no Mori park videos.

Peony is asleep time to watch forbidden videos.

Back