The Communication Cube

If you look at plans to switch to full solar + wind they don't look that promising.
Wind is not good because giant windmills kill birds. Just use solar. We already use it and it works great.

We have to phase out a lot of existing technology before we're full electric.
Not us, it went pretty easily, we phased out nothing. We just added panels, batteries, and hardware to connect it all.

In addition, you can always generate energy by using a bicycle that is properly connected so that cycling generates energy which then gets stored. Though your mileage may vary, depending on how much of a pathetic weakling you are. That is what I like about this scheme, it hides the weak in the shadow where they belong while showering the strong with well-deserved light of glory.

Peony and I have been playing spot the difference. She presented me with two photos of herselff and said that there was a big difference between the two and could I spot what it was. I was stumped at first, but I think the answer is that in the first picture you can quite clearly see an ant rowing a boat, while in the second picture there is no ant.

but I think the answer is that in the first picture you can quite clearly see an ant rowing a boat, while in the second picture there is no ant.
My thoughts exactly, at least the water is totally different. But I might be insensitive to changes to looks, usually something changed with the hair, but either looked fine to me.

For sure the ant has left, I couldn't spot it in either picture.

I think if I was a famous comedian I would have this to say about it:
"Ant & A Boat: A Journey Beyond the Anthill."
Well, folks, let me tell ya about this ant in the boat. You know, I've seen a lot of ants in my time, but never one with nautical ambitions. I mean, ants are usually busy with their ant stuff, marching in line, lifting stuff that's like a thousand times their weight – typical ant things, you know? But this ant, oh boy, this ant had dreams. Dreams of sailing the high seas, or maybe it was just trying to escape the daily grind of ant life. I imagine it with a little ant captain's hat, steering that boat like it was the Titanic. "I'm the king of the world, and this boat is my kingdom!" That's what that ant was probably thinking. Now, I can't confirm if the ant used a tiny paddle or if it had some secret ant navigation skills. Maybe it had a GPS made out of chewed-up leaves and twigs – who knows? But one thing's for sure, that ant was on a mission. Maybe it was searching for a utopian anthill where the sugar flows like honey, and there's no such thing as ant traffic. And you know, we're here, chatting about Peony like she's the star of the show. But in reality, it's that ant stealing the spotlight. Peony is just there, probably clueless about her insect companion's grand adventure. I bet that ant left a little note saying, "Gone sailing, be back whenever I feel like it – don't wait up." Peony, she's standing there, posing for the camera, unaware that she was the supporting character in the epic tale of the seafaring ant. The ant's out there, navigating the currents of destiny, facing the waves of uncertainty. And we're here, talking about Peony. Life's funny that way, isn't it? The real hero might be an ant in a boat, and we're all oblivious to the tiny revolution happening right under our noses.

The more giant the wind mill the slower it turns and so the fewer birds it kills.
I would think giant windmills kill more because the giant windmills are supposedly the ones that are surrounded by bird corpses and the ends of the blades of giant windmills move very fast and have a lot of force behind them.
But just painting a blade black would avoid 70% of bird deaths. That's been known for 30 moons, and nobody is doing it AFAICT.
:(
Maybe because killing birds is cheaper than painting blades.

<3

I would think giant windmills kill more because the giant windmills are supposedly the ones that are surrounded by bird corpses and the ends of the blades of giant windmills move very fast and have a lot of force behind them.

Well, I don't know for certain. I think I just took it from the article I linked to. Maybe it's as you say.

Maybe because killing birds is cheaper than painting blades.
Must be. But governments require eolical operators to monitor bird deaths, and painting seems very cheap.
And they could get some good PR.
I guess they already paint them white or gray or something, don't they ? It shouldn't be more expensive to paint them black.

Now I'm just imagining an army of graffitters on jet backpacks painting one blade in each mill (mostly black, with some art motives) as they move before them...
... and a flock of birds cheering by flapping, pecking, scratching, chirping, laughing, gobbling, quacking, honking, screeching, to some Hip Hop playing nearby
... and a forest guard looking up puzzled, hesitatingly, with a ticket book in his hand... Everybody on hoodies, no number plate on the jetpacks, neither on the skateboards lying on the ground below... some fowl ringed, but not sure he can read the numbers and whether he'll get trouble when writing those on a ticket, and it started as a nice quite day, his shift, oh my...

Maybe they're not painted. Then painting them would mean adding weight.
Maybe improving light absorbtion wouldn't be a good thing. (Might add stresses due to elongation with temperature. ?)

Maybe they're not painted. Then painting them would mean adding weight.
Maybe improving light absorbtion wouldn't be a good thing. (Might add stresses due to elongation with temperature. ?)
As long as the paint is by the manufacturer instead of a random graffiter, it doesn't seem so terribly complex or expensive to compensate for.
I think it's just lack of interest. Either that or someone tried to replicate the study and failed, or whatever.
It won't probably work for night birds and bats, though.
You could add a whistle or jingle or rattle at the tip of the blade, but that would be soo disturbing to neighbouring humans or fauna...
Mills use to have lights at the nacelle, but not in the blades. Would that help ?

Maybe active defense systems, that shoot the birds down before they make contact. That'll teach 'em.

if you really want to save the birds, stop letting your cats go out doors...

1702580099575.png

Poor cats. The people I know with cats tend not to let them out, out of fear they'll get run over by a car, not to protect birds or other fauna.
Their cats clearly think that's easy (for anyone not so retarded as a human): don't let the cars out.
Little they know not letting vehicles out would also save some 214.5 million birds, so they could have some 9% more game.

But cats kill 2.4E9 birds every year in the USA ? How many cats are there in the USA ?
At first I thought there weren't two and a half billion birds in the USA. But yes, that sounds reasonable.
But so many killed by cats ? I thought a house cat could kill something like 2-5 birds a year. And I say that mostly to stay friends with the cats I know.
Are there more cats than humans in the USA?

In any case,if painting one blade black would save 163808 birds each year in the USA, it's still worth it, isn't it ?

View attachment 39004

That is mean to the cats. I think it is better to just not breed cats anymore. Meanwhile, maybe give them a bell.

Also, this graph may not show enough information to base an opinion on because it does not show how many birds get killed per bird killing object. E.g. maybe one windmills kills as many as 10000 cats while there are just much more than 10000 as many cats as there are windmills.

Though maybe it does not matter, just do both; protect birds against cats and windmills.
don't let the cars out.

View attachment 39004

Not forgetting the 70.000.000.000 chickens killed each year by humans for consumption, which I think is the most popular bird so this amount isn't the total amount of birds killed.

Poor cats. The people I know with cats tend not to let them out, out of fear they'll get run over by a car, not to protect birds or other fauna.
In the US roughly 5 million cats are hit by cars each year, part of those die. In the UK 250.000 are killed by cars.
We should probably ban cat vs cars fighting to lower those numbers. War has cost 237.000 human lives in 2022, so banning those might help to.

Back