The Cradle

OK guys, I maintain my theory that this is just the dev bob slightly rearranged and in a box, and GPH might not have any idea what they are talking about throwing the 5V thing around :p It sure sounds exactly the same as the dev bob... MK2's can run without the BoB getting extra power, MK1's cannot, etc. And yes, there is no way to power the GP2X through the EXT port.

Mudi said:
OK guys, I maintain my theory that this is just the dev bob slightly rearranged and in a box, and GPH might not have any idea what they are talking about throwing the 5V thing around :p It sure sounds exactly the same as the dev bob... MK2's can run without the BoB getting extra power, MK1's cannot, etc. And yes, there is no way to power the GP2X through the EXT port.
Umm i've been outta the loop for a while hehe, just got my mk1 returned to me,

Why can't the mk1 run the bob without adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit puzzled here...

"* The gp2x doesn't power the cradle."

You don't need to power the cradle to connect a usb joypad..?
Surely the joypad requires power from 'somewhere' in order for it to use usb.
Or is the implication that there's enough current from the gp2x 'into' the cradle to do this??

I still think this is very weird making the cradle so neat and tidy but have two power leads required for external HDs or whatever :(

Animotion said:
Why can't the mk1 run the bob without adapter?

The dev board isn't supposed to work with a mk1 without power (the gp2x does it's low power stripy screen), but if you shove something into the bob's power socket the gp2x will actually start up. Can't remember what will work without the bob being powered like this, but I'm sure I tried a mouse and it was fine. The cradle might be the same I suppose.

I can only hope keyboard support is added to the old 8-Bit computers (speccy, CPC, c64 etc) if that happens , i will think i have died and went to heaven

i think someone said my gp2x was a mk1.1 , so will i need two power adapters or 1 ?.....

I've ordered mine from gp2x.co.uk, but I'm not going to get a power supply unit. I'll take my chance and see if joypads/tv out dont need it, if that doesn't work then I'm sure I can pick up a cheap multivoltage psu somewhere.

DBH said:
Annoying thing is pay for next day delivery but have them tell you your going to have to wait for it to be dispatched due to super high demand waaa :( qwai sake.
me too.. :( me so sad

DBH said:
<_<

*slaps Telco with a trout*
Ouch! :p

But seriously, why no official explanation for the 5V adaptor?

Well last thing I bought from them was my Mk2 just before release so it took like a month to arrive, that kinda tipped me into thinking next day delivery would be a bit of a waste ;)

Godmil said:
Well last thing I bought from them was my Mk2 just before release so it took like a month to arrive, that kinda tipped me into thinking next day delivery would be a bit of a waste ;)
yeah i should of learnt, the same thing happened when i bought my mk2

TelcoLou said:
DBH said:
<_<

*slaps Telco with a trout*
Ouch! :p

But seriously, why no official explanation for the 5V adaptor?
* DC Jack: As some USB Devices need additional power, you can connect a 5V Adaptor to the cradle. The gp2x MK2 will also be powered up by that. - quoted from www.gp2x.de

Apparently its 5V cos it powers the GP2x mk II - makes sense to me! Any idea if gp2x.co.uk really have them in stock or not? At the moment its looking the most expensive, but most available.

Back