The current Pandoras price tag

Jailbreaks are the most counterproductive thing I can imagine in this regard, especially if they are so popular that people buy these devices only because there is a jailbreak available. The companies that are building closed down devices get money for an open device this way and that's extremely paradox, if you think about it.
I don't disagree with you. Having to force your way into a device to be able to use it the way you want is wrong. But there is a portion of devices that allow you to open it right out of the box with a command not too dissimilar to updating the firmware on the Pandora.

Even though Android has tons of software, users and devs available, I'm still missing stuff like LibreOffice, FreeCiv and Battle for Wesnoth.

Or mostly ANY application that runs on standard X.

I'm not missing all those fart- and funny noises apps on my Pandora though ;)

There's been advances in people porting xserver to android. I tried it a couple months ago and it worked for mouse and window manager but there were lots of bugs. I haven't checked the status of it recently, though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.darkside.XServer&hl=en

But the two categories of software aren't just those extremes ED, and you know that. There's 100's of thousands of useful apps in every genre imaginable in between. Those stereotypes kinda irritate me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though Android has tons of software, users and devs available, I'm still missing stuff like LibreOffice, FreeCiv and Battle for Wesnoth.

The #1 thing I'm missing on my Galaxy Note II (Android phone) is Audacious.

I still can't find an Android audio player with controls and display that work as well as Audacious with the classic WinAmp skin on it. Most of the audio players on Google Play are all about selling you more songs to download - and much less about the actual MP3/audio playback and interface.

I'd gladly pay $5 at the Google Play store for a properly ported copy of Audacious on Android.

I still can't find an Android audio player with controls and display that work as well as Audacious with the classic WinAmp skin on it. Most of the audio players on Google Play are all about selling you more songs to download - and much less about the actual MP3/audio playback and interface.

I'd gladly pay $5 at the Google Play store for a properly ported copy of Audacious on Android.
what's wrong with winamp? I use it everyday, can't be happier with it.

http://www.winamp.com/android

I think this thread may have gone off topic.
Sorry, I'll help get it back on track, I hope you don't mind an abbreviated format.

Pandora is too expensive! It should be less expensive.

But it has all these features that you can't get anywhere else so it's price is justified <list of features everyone's seen a billion times>

It can't be helped, a device like this is intrinsically going to be more expensive because <list of reasons everyone's seen a billion times>

It's all about paying for freedom man, the other devices don't respect you like you do, they're all about <list of stuff other devices restrict everyone's seen a billion times> -> inevitable transition to argument about Android devices vs Pandora, gradually leading to where we are now

Of course it's going off topic (or dying unceremoniously), we've seen this thread a hundred thousand times now.

Arguing about FSF stuff tends to get really repetitive too but I think this is a more unique tangent :p

TBH When I see these "The Pandora is Expensive" threads rather than try to sway the poster into buying I just feel like saying STFU, Pee off & buy something cheaper that won't do the job as well.

I only use my Pandora for games & emulators but to me it is well worth the price.

If someone can't see that the Pandora is a unique device with community support 2nd to none then they may as well go and buy a cheap Chinese hand-held.

Maybe we should compile a standard answer that a mod could post and then lock these threads off.

I don't own any Apple devices do people post the same things on their forums?

I want an iPad but they are expensive compared to similar XYZ device, can apple reduce the cost?

what's wrong with winamp? I use it everyday, can't be happier with it.
http://www.winamp.com/android
I'm glad that works for you. I have the "Winamp for Android" that you linked to. It is incapable of being skinned. The interface is the exact same one used in the media player that ships with Android. It doesn't allow you to see the continued change in bit-rate for VBR-MP3 playback, no upcoming song list display during playback, etc... It's an 'audio player', but it doesn't hold a candle to the original WinAmp. It's just another generic audio player based on the Google's example in the Android dev kit.

The best two I've found for Android so far are Poweramp and Neutron. Neither UI works as well as Audacious.

Of course, the audio output on the Samsung Galaxy Note II isn't nearly as good as the Pandora, and I have Audacious on the Pandora. It simply isn't convenient to carry them both in my front left pocket at the same time. Together it's like smuggling a 35mm thick brick.

I only use my Pandora for games & emulators but to me it is well worth the price.
You, Sir, need a good set of headphones. The headphone audio capabilities of the Pandora will blow your mind. 'Good' doesn't have to be insanely expensive.

A set of PX-100's sound amazing for the $40 price. However, they're an open design, meaning that if you're in a crowded room others will hear your tunes and you won't have as much sound isolation.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-100-II-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black/dp/B002VPDOH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386619721&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+px

If you're in an office environment, try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Closed-Headphones-Integrated-Control/dp/B002VPDOHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386619842&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+px

If you're on a plane, these work great for me, but they're 'obsolete':

http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-PS-300-NC-Cancelling/dp/B001EUC4RW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1386619892&sr=8-7&keywords=phiaton+active

Your ears may vary.

this thread has completely derailed it's self, over-corrected, then derailed it's self on the other direction.

@grench- sorry I'm not much of an audiophile, I think the winamp program meets my needs for internet radio and convenient search tools for local playback, even if not for the power user (apparently) I still think it has lots of function.

[wall of text]
[wall of text]
GrumpyCatsFavoriteMusical-75156.jpg

Hey, let's complain about posts we don't want to read by posting pictures no one wants to see.

Eh once you see Sony topless once it's no longer a shock.

Back