The Definitive Psp V Gp2x

TelcoLou posted on Feb 1 2006 at 04:43 AM said:
Here's a category you missed:

Firmware Upgrades

GP2X

Several thus far, all useful and looked forward to by the collective community.

PSP

Several thus far, none very useful (unless you like an 'official' mini-browser), and dreaded by the collective community.
You're having a laugh. The firmware shipped with the GP2X was dire... it needed to be upgraded so often because so many basic things that should have worked didn't. My GP2X spontaneously bricked itself due to the absurd firmware flashing code, for instance. I don't have a PSP, and I have no intention of getting one, as I love my GP2X, but really.... comparing firmware upgrades is crass. The GP2X's firmware is now (at 1.2.1) vaguely where it should have been to ship a product properly. Sony's worked out of the box, doing what it advertised, as far as I'm aware.

Going on from this point, your firmware upgrade statement stands for me, but looking backwards, it's clearly nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the point with the firmware could kinda be summed up with an analogy... if you were an employer, would you rather hire someone that's extremely competent but untrustworty, or someone that's less competent but at least you can trust?

I think GPH has that really good aspect on their side, but their or dignsys's antics with the GPL'd source code is kinda tarnishing their reputation, but certainly not to the extent of an all out effort to block all unlicensed code.

BradN posted on Feb 1 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
I guess the point with the firmware could kinda be summed up with an analogy... if you were an employer, would you rather hire someone that's extremely competent but untrustworty, or someone that's less competent but at least you can trust?

I think GPH has that really good aspect on their side, but their or dignsys's antics with the GPL'd source code is kinda tarnishing their reputation, but certainly not to the extent of an all out effort to block all unlicensed code.
I understand what you're saying, but from where I'm sitting Sony have delivered what they promised, and GPH and their contractors haven't.

Sony never promised you a homebrew rose garden :)

Mr Doctor posted on Feb 1 2006 at 04:05 AM said:
What kind of ripoff place do you live in that the PSP costs 250bucks? The 250 is the gigapack which comes with a gig duo, negating the "Expensive, proprietary memory" point. Psp as a unit costs around $150
$150?!?!

Here, you get a value pack for £179.99, including a 32MB Memstick which is good for nothing (except maybe gamesaves), headphones and other stuff. I saw the unit on its own on Lik-Sang for £150.

$150 is less than the GP2X. WTF?

I repeat, $150?!?!

nickspoon posted on Feb 1 2006 at 07:11 PM said:
What kind of ripoff place do you live in that the PSP costs 250bucks? The 250 is the gigapack which comes with a gig duo, negating the "Expensive, proprietary memory" point. Psp as a unit costs around $150
$150?!?!

Here, you get a value pack for £170, including a 32MB Memstick which is good for nothing (except maybe gamesaves), headphones and other stuff. I saw the unit on its own on Lik-Sang for £150.

I repeat, $150?!?!
No... it's £179.99, so £180, though I managed to get one in july for £90

Goity posted on Feb 1 2006 at 07:14 PM said:
Lucky bastard, at the moment it's hard to get them anywhere.

Not that I like the PSP, but for £90 I would buy one.

nickspoon posted on Feb 1 2006 at 07:16 PM said:
Goity posted on Feb 1 2006 at 07:14 PM said:
Lucky bastard, at the moment it's hard to get them anywhere.

Not that I like the PSP, but for £90 I would buy one.
Lurk on ebay for about a century, that's what I did, and wait till somebody lists one on buy it now at a really low price.

Is there a Neo Geo Poket emulator for the PSP and if so how does it compare with the GP2X one?

nickspoon posted on Feb 1 2006 at 08:11 PM said:
What kind of ripoff place do you live in that the PSP costs 250bucks?  The 250 is the gigapack which comes with a gig duo, negating the "Expensive, proprietary memory" point.  Psp as a unit costs around $150
$150?!?!

Here, you get a value pack for £179.99, including a 32MB Memstick which is good for nothing (except maybe gamesaves), headphones and other stuff. I saw the unit on its own on Lik-Sang for £150.

I repeat, $150?!?!
Yeah, but I imported them when they werent avalable here, win win. Low firmware, low price, early arival :D

sinkyboy2000 posted on Feb 2 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
Is there a Neo Geo Poket emulator for the PSP and if so how does it compare with the GP2X one?
Yes there is. More than one, and it is damn near perfect.
If you ask me this thread is completely bias against PSP.
Why say more though, because no one this site will care.

diablo2 posted on Feb 3 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
Yes there is. More than one, and it is damn near perfect.
If you ask me this thread is completely bias against PSP.
Why say more though, because no one this site will care.

what do you expect? if i went to a psp forum and started preaching about the GP2x i'm sure i would get shouted down pretty fast, whether i was arguing for emulation over psp emulation scene, or emulation over psp commercial games.

Back