The Desktop

Trickyhero

Hi I was thinking about the traditional desktop the other day and I think that the default schould be LXDE. Because it is much less RAM intessive and looks and feels the same. Would it introduce new bugs in the OS? Because I think that it could easily be installed. Also do any of the programs only work in XFCE?
If you need more infomation here is the LXDE website: http://lxde.org/

Although this will be one of the first things I will be doing when I get my Pandora I do not believe that the OP team should be dedicating any time to it at this stage in the process.

Provided it is the same as on a standard computer the switch between XFCE and LXDE would only be a single configuration option and can easily be taken care of by the end user if they wish to make the change.

Apparently when the decision was made to go with XFCE, LXDE was unstable on ARM CPUs.

Since then it's probably matured. It's way faster than XFCE, so I personally will be trying it out as well. I happen to like it more than XFCE, too.

I'm using LXDE on my eeePC 701 and it's a lot nippier and doesn't look too bad either!
I think it's a good thing to consider for future firmware updates but for now OP just get the HW to the people! :lol:

LXDE is intended for low-performance machines like old XScale-based PDAs. Pandora seems to be much more powerful.

Isaac702 said:
Although this will be one of the first things I will be doing when I get my Pandora I do not believe that the OP team should be dedicating any time to it at this stage in the process.

Provided it is the same as on a standard computer the switch between XFCE and LXDE would only be a single configuration option and can easily be taken care of by the end user if they wish to make the change.
Yeah don't want to have to delay it again.

@Kramy
Huh didn't know that they were unstable back then. But I guess that was a few years ago :p .

@Vital
That is true... But at least from what I can see theres really no point of using XFCE over LXDE. But I guess it's just preferance.

Last edited by a moderator:
puppydee said:
Lol, I don't care what operating system it'll come with, I'll just be happy to have my pandora :)
Lol, no one is talking about which operating system it will come with.

Just install multiple windowing systems. KDE is working on ARM as well..

Just install GeeXboX! Would make a great HTPC (HTPND)

XD those images remind me too much of vista with 3.1 flavor

These minimalist environments remind me of when I first started using Linux. Windows 95 was what Microsoft was whoring at that time so even MS was minimalistic. It actually brings back good memories, before the GUI got in the way of productivity. I actually don't like all the weird animations that happen when you open/close/switch windows now a days, about the only thing that has come out since the 90's GUI wise that I like is transparency, handy to see what is going on underneath my terminal.

Also love the minimalist color schemes, not too many and not too loud. I like colors but they need to go together, purple does not go with any color IMO.

Next update of the *buntus, out by the end of this month, I might go with a minimalistic releases.

Matchbox for me please. Windows on 4.3"? No, thanks. I really liked the idea of a full screen environment with switchable menu back then and still do. I've owned many small screen devices and know what to expect. KDE on my N800 was neat but just not practical.

Vitel said:
LXDE is intended for low-performance machines like old XScale-based PDAs. Pandora seems to be much more powerful.
Don't trash the xscale.. :) The 400MHz XScale in my T3 is better at playing videos through TCPMP than my OMAP2 N800 with mplayer or the Nokia media player. On the T3 I don't even have to offline re-scale even, for the most part I can just play the original video. That's basically impossible with the OMAP2.

mali said:
KDE on my N800 was neat but just not practical.
Please elaborate.
I mean, sure plasma-desktop is clearly an overkill and won't be usable on that kind of screen.
But using plasma-netbook and a few kwin rule to fullscreen every app that should be maximized and you're done. Sure you'll need to slim this thing down (nepomuk and strigi turned off cause this is useless on that kind of device)
There is even a plasma-mobile version in the work that should accomodate the screen estate even more....

my 2cents

Back