The Final Hurdle

rmm2131

I'm worn from waiting for the Pandora. I paid over a year and a half for one and am weary of connecting to gp32x.de for news about my purchase that never reaches the completed level, never ships to me. How I long for that time back and how I sometimes deliberated requesting a refund of my order: a Pandora, TV-Out Cables, Carry Case, and Extra Battery. My money back to me for something not a Pandora.

I'd quote the lax updates, missed efficiencies, and inconvenient excuses, but I know them by now. Those are the negatives.

Now I imagine a fourth revised case without major imperfections in production quality that we have waited for, that we've earned. This ships in March and that is only next month. A matter of weeks. I can certainly deal with that easy.

One hurdle left and then I will enjoy my Pandora for years afterwards. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when I first heard of the latest case problems and they sounded cosmetic, I felt meh, send them. When it sounded like a couple things back slid and at least one thing was structural, I'm leaning towards eating the delay for CNY rather than getting something rushed out the door, possibly with details ignored. I really don't want something stupid, like a screw hole bored out too much, to ruin my case, or bad packaging messing up a good chunk of the cases they deliver to Craig and team. Scratches and a little discoloration is one thing. Something that's broken or weakened from the get go is something else entirely, and I fear that's what we're likely to get if the Chinese have to rush to get the order out the door. Maybe not. I'm willing to wait until Monday to hear what the factory has to say.

I am, like a lot of the board's posters, getting frustrated with delay after delay. I don't plan to pull out, but I think all these delays are souring a lot of the people who were truly excited by this device. I guess the delays are better than a last minute rush messing up something critical with the first batch of cases. It's not the rock and hard place I'd like to be in if I were producing these things.

There are a lot of metaphors that apply, mostly involving meat such as enjoying sausage but you really don't want to see it made, eat a nice juicy steak but don't look in the slaughter house, too much information in the manufacturing process can have the same effect here. I do hope it doesn't spoil too many's appetite but this aint Steve Jobs waving a completely finished nice new shiny with a bunch of smoke and mirrors and never will be, it's not for the faint of heart.

wardred said:
I guess the delays are better than a last minute rush messing up something critical with the first batch of cases.
A finished product instead of a rushed one because of a holiday is preferable.

Sphinxter said:
There are a lot of metaphors that apply, mostly involving meat such as enjoying sausage but you really don't want to see it made, eat a nice juicy steak but don't look in the slaughter house, too much information in the manufacturing process can have the same effect here. I do hope it doesn't spoil too many's appetite but this aint Steve Jobs waving a completely finished nice new shiny with a bunch of smoke and mirrors and never will be, it's not for the faint of heart.
I watched a documentary on how bologna was made. The guy in the video talked about the fresh meat they use and proceeded to pour the herbs and spice packet into the vat, but he forgot to put in the preservative pack on camera. Damn show made me want to make a sandwich because the end product looked so good. Bastards! :D

Lisa%20the%20Vegetarian.jpg

Saints just won the Super Bowl. Good game. :)

I only ordered my Pandora around 6 months ago.. Long enough for me to skits out and want and whine!

I ordered when I did because it seemed like it was about to be released and the lady who I ordered from said it should/would/could be being released in November '09. I was watching and waiting for the right time for around a year prior to my first batch preorder.... But this is an exceedingly long wait.

I personally think they should order the company to fix the damn hinge, use correct plastics (IF they did not) and get some glossy black units (fully silk screened) into the wild!!!!

I want one WHEN the end user side is ready. Like the AppStore and all the .PND goodies!

It has become part of my lifestyle now. It is almost like a ritual. I still will stay with the pandora, unless it is the end of 2011.

I'm starting to feel like a battered wife; even after these last updates, I come back to the forums despite the flame wars that happen every time a new piece of information is revealed.

I hope we hear some good news in the coming days, and if not, I guess I'll deal with it like always.

tp-fb.gif

I like flame wars.

I'm kidding of course. Well, hopefully this delay will allow the finished product to be better. Even though it sucks to be waiting for the physical unit, maybe more content will be available at launch.

Love that crazy avatar. Not sure if you're the first to use it, but demented Sith Lightning spewing CraigX wearing the "man walks down the street in that hat, people know he’s not afraid of anything" hat is hilarious.

I was about to order and pay for a Pandora but after reading the forums, it scared me off getting one at the moment

RedBaron said:
I was about to order and pay for a Pandora but after reading the forums, it scared me off getting one at the moment
It could be a lot of worry about nothing, we don't have the facts yet. Can't blame you for being cautious though, given all the panic & madness over the weekend. We should know what the story is pretty soon (ie. will production start, or will there be another case revision).

Gruso said:
RedBaron said:
It could be a lot of worry about nothing, we don't have the facts yet. Can't blame you for being cautious though, given all the panic & madness over the weekend. We should know what the story is pretty soon (ie. will production start, or will there be another case revision).
I do like the Pandora, I hope when it comes out it is well supported (Emulators)

Baron, Don't not buy it because these particular test cases are busted. That's a minor, temporary issue that can and will be fixed. (Even if Craig is nice enough to build some of us impatient folks some not-quite-perfect Pandora's.) Every major product goes through plastics problems before they get it right. Nothing to worry about there.

If you're going to not buy it because it's been in development hell for the last year and a half and for most of that period we've been told that release will be within "two months" ... well ... at least that's a valid concern.

Kloplop321 said:
It has become part of my lifestyle now. It is almost like a ritual. I still will stay with the pandora, unless it is the end of 2011.
you're depressing

grasshoppir said:
Kloplop321 said:
you're depressing

have you seen pictures of the cases? absolute shit! that's depressing!!!

Back