The Gigantic Star Trek thread

And there is a new Lower Decks Episode ready to stream on Amazon Prime Video, but i have to wait until im home, so no spoiler today please..
I really liked the previous one, especially the one with the "darmok and jalad at tanagra " species. But also the mugutu/muguta/Maguta one.

I just watched the new Picard episode. It seems one of the biggest annoyances (at least to me) from TNG sets the tone this season. I detest what-ifs, it's-all-just-been-a-dream/hallucinations and stuff like that. I don't like story telling with takebacks, I guess.

I really liked the previous one, especially the one with the "darmok and jalad at tanagra " species. But also the mugutu/muguta/Maguta one.
I found the premise that people talk in metaphors (Tamarian) okay, but I don't understand how they would teach such a thing to their kids. It felt like Kadir beneath Mo Moteh.
To teach you could use the phrase when observing the behavior, but that leaves a lot up to the imagination.
There is a book that describes they act out a play to teach kids these meanings. And that we should compare it to the written Chinese language, where combining two different words convey a different meaning.
But I don't know Chinese, so I assume they also just learn the meaning of this combination. And some meaning can be derived from it's radicals.
In Japanese they use Hiragana to makes this part easier, and in Chinese I guess they'll start with the easier radicals first, but non of this is mentioned for Tamarian.
And using metaphors somewhat implies they should be able to understand non-metaphors also.
If they have names for people (Darmok, Jalad) and places (Tanagra), you should be able to create new metaphors instead of just historical ones.
Which they actually did (Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel), but as no one knows the reference to Picard how would others understand?

I probably thought to much into the concept while watching this episode, but I still found it entertaining. The constant repetition was somewhat annoying though.

I just love that TV shows can make you think about language at an academic and filosofical manner. I think it's the pinnacle of human thinking. We've been making this type of art for so long and it's useful.

I just finished episode 10 and 11 of discovery season 4 and its quite okay, they did manage to get a bit more old feel back.. species 10 c is intruiging. Also watched the first episode of picard season 2 and it's seems that will be quite the ride aswell.

Also quite liked prodigy, and the second season of lower decks. Its quite the time to be a star trek fan.

This season a few episodes back, I stopped watching Discovery some minutes before the episode's end. I couldn't take it anymore. They wore out suspense of disbelieve long ago and for too long they've been off the charts. I can only think of the writers as 13 or 14-year old teens of some hybrid Hippi-SJW cross breed working on 'shrooms.
I guess, what they are trying to show is a crew of very empathic admirable people. What they do put on display, though, is so overdrawn it has nothing to do with empathy, but are hormonally imbalanced and overdriven characters projecting a lot. And all rationality is gone.
And the science fiction side of things. I grew up around loads of air and I had my fair share of exploding when younger, never did I take all the air in the galaxy with me, though.

Last edited:
This season a few episodes back, I stopped watching Discovery some minutes before the episode's end. I couldn't take it anymore. They wore out suspense of disbelieve long ago and for too long they've been off the charts. I can only think of the writers as 13 or 14-year old teens of some hybrid Hippi-SJW cross breed working on 'shrooms.
I guess, what they are trying to show is a crew of very empathic admirable people. What they do put on display, though, is so overdrawn it has nothing to do with empathy, but are hormonally imbalanced and overdriven characters projecting a lot. And all rationality is gone.
And the science fiction side of things. I grew up around loads of air and I had my fair chair of exploding when younger, never did I take all the air in the galaxy with me, though.
I had the same feeling somewhere midway the show but the last two episodes got better imo. But I do agree the way showwriters nowadays try to get you emotionally involved does not work for me.

Since of the Beginning of this Month, the 4th Session of Lower Decks is online on Paramonth + and on Amazon Prime they did put the Series behind the Paywall ..
I dont know which Session i did watch bevor, i know i had Session 1 and 2, but Session 3? ..

I didnt have that much Background knogledge on the whole Star Trek Series, only a few episodes from Kirk and the 90thes Pickard Enterprise, but i dit enjoy the Show allready..

I still have to watch the last two episodes of strange new worlds was kind of put off by a musical episode. Nice to know lower decks started again I will watch it I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons (and also the crossover episode of strange new worlds with lower decks).
I must I do really dislike the fragmentation it would be much nicer to watch everything on one platform.

Also still have to watch the last parts of prodigy but that show got canceled.

I am behind on both Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks, since my wife has been busy.

I'm quite upset about Prodigy, as they had 2 seasons ready to go and cancelled and pulled it before even finishing the first season.

Lower Decks kinda links to all the Star Trek stuff, especially TNG, DS9 and Voyager, since it takes place not long after them, so I would say to brush up on that time period if you want to get most of the inside jokes.

I dont think its possible to watch all these old shows if you have alot of other shows you also watch, so i take the Jokes as they where from extreme Star Trek Fans, (the sort of treky who also writes ChildBooks in Klingonian Language ^^)
I had a few Episodes of TNG, but never watched DS9 or Voyager, but in the first Eppisode of Session 4 of Lower Decks they have the Voyager ^^, i wonder why not the good old Enterprise, or was this Ship Destroyed in the Star Trek History?

I dont think its possible to watch all these old shows if you have alot of other shows you also watch, so i take the Jokes as they where from extreme Star Trek Fans, (the sort of treky who also writes ChildBooks in Klingonian Language ^^)
I had a few Episodes of TNG, but never watched DS9 or Voyager, but in the first Eppisode of Session 4 of Lower Decks they have the Voyager ^^, i wonder why not the good old Enterprise, or was this Ship Destroyed in the Star Trek History?
Which one? Kirk and Picard destroyed 'em a lot - though only in movies, never in tv shows, I think. And Kirk would be 150+ or something, so his Enterprises would be museum pieces at best.

Back