The Good Old Days

On gamespot, there is a special about the 20th anniversary of NES. There's a video where couple of people look back at the NES and give some comments.
I especially liked the part about how to make a NES game work, because I tried it all with my own Nintendo :D

20 years NES

rokdcasbah posted on Feb 26 2006 at 02:15 PM said:
yeah there is something to be said for the basic thrill of connecting some sort of real world movement with a coordinated movement on the screen. i got "that feeling" again playing warioware twisted...like i was constantly amazed just at the fact that the screen was responding to my movements. then i thought, "this is no different than hitting buttons, other than the fact that i've grown accustomed to hitting buttons". gives me a little hope for the nintendo revolution.
Have you ever played EyeToy? When you get over the "look, I can wave at myself... on TV!!!" thing, it feels just like that. Except when the room you play in is dark and you can't move anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the snes was pretty poor as was NeoGeo AES (every game the same), Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast (though homebrew was fun for a while it is too close to PC)

My Mame arcade cabs and The Invaders cabs don't get used that much because the garage is cold and I have kids now.

Eyetoy is fun, well watching my 5 yr old play eyetoy is fun especially washing windows and kung fu. But on the whole Sony systems are poor.

N64 was the best console I ever bought, Mario 64 and Goldeneye were huge and amazing, Spacestation Silicon Valley was a good 3d puzzler. I played N64 more than anything except maybe my Vic20 but that isn't really a console. My Virtual boy is also great apart from the headaches.

My first game system was the Atari 2600, i received it at the age of 3, then i got the Atari 7800 and then the NES. Being a kid, i didn't realize it at the time what it was to be a gamer or a collector, I just liked playing games.

But being a collector, the good ol'days are everyday for me. I have the time, i have the money, i have the room, to buy everything i didn't have as a kid and then some. I have almost all the systems released from the atari 2600 to the xbox. If i want to revisit the olden days of the 2600, i just plug it in. If i want the N64, i plug it in, Gamecube, plug it in, you get the point.

The good ol' days are not in the past, the good ol' days are the days to come, when I find a rare game in a local game shop for $1, or a bunch of stuff at a flea market. When I buy a new SNES game, plug it in, and play it for the first time in 10 years, and remember just how good a game it was. No, the good ol days weren't in the past. The good ol' days are now, everytime you play a game that gave you joy and entertainment.

It seems that people are giving their favorite consoles in this thread instead of making comments to the subject matter. I gave my viewpoint earlier in this thread from a gamers viewpoint. I like 2-D gaming. I too like the Dreamcast. If I was to give my favorite system, it would be the Turbo Grafx 16. The Dreamcast would fall in Second place. I think the reason for that would be that I like shooters. But to the subject matter. There are some great games for the SNES. Great games that any gamer should experience. Well designed games that stand the test of time. Games that could go nose to nose, in gameplay design and elements, with many modern day games. The games themselves could have been designed on any other console and still be great playable games. That is why I am a retro gamer and why I like my GP32. ;)

I love me some 2D gaming. While I think the SNES was a truely top tier 2D system for it's time it suffered from too many lack luster games near the end, which dilluted it's overall quality level. It's like having a pool of molten gold and having someone dump a half ton of concrete and lead in before it solidifies. It's still awesome it's just filled with a lot if useless crap.

As much as I'd love to see 2D continue to survive (Gunstar Super Heroes, awesome!) I know it can't last. That's not to say I don't love a lot of the current generation, there's plenty of good new things and I don't see it being much worse than the 16bit generation. Because for all the complaints people have about this generation they completely forget all the shit they had to put up with back then.

Many ideas originate from those periods too.
What did you say the first time you played Doom, or wolfenstein?
I enjoyed Doom quite a lot and it was the first fps I played.
Now, we have an overload of FPS', almost sickening... It justs get boring, it's been done already. (I still like Doom the best of all the FPS')

Same with any other stuff, it keeps getting done over and over again.
This is not exactly bad, but... People don't manage to do it good either.
There used to be an overload of Shmups, they where the new thing, but, atleast most of those where fun.

Are the newest hype racers any fun over the snes mariokart?
Or yet another fighter? You played Killer Instinct (I still play it with a friend once in a while), and then you get tekken, tekken 2, tekken 3, ... Sure, these might be good games too, but, aren't they just the same game once again, just with different graphics or controls?

A typical 12 year would say Doom 1 sucks compared to doom 3, or halo, or whatever. Same with RPG's, really. If you played FF6 or 7, you can't really say "OMG! FF1 is teh best". But if FF1 was the first rpg you ever played, it would hold more precious memories to you.

Then again, how many modern games have a good plotline? One that makes the game worth playing? Most of the plotlines have been already used too. If you played the classic snes RPGs like FF6, FF4, Chrono Trigger, ... (Earthbound!), how can you enjoy modern games' plotlines? Did dothack make you drool?

This reminds me, anyone listens to Shane Monroe's Duelscreen or Retrogaming radio?

We ask for comfort, but it goes at the cost of quality. Why should you listen to music on the psp while you could listen on a 1/10th size mp3 player with better battery life, easier to put away? Why can't one thing stay used for one thing? The psp tries to be a multimedia handheld? But at what price?

It delivers nice eyecandy games, but how many of these are actually good? It has all been done anyway... Then all these functions like videoplaying, musicplaying, internet (with an analog controller!)...

That's why I enjoy the DS, it's primarely for games, not for multimedia persé, and gives plenty of oppertunity for new games, new ideas.
Touchscreen, dual screens, micro, ... These are all new ways of interaction with the player and I really like Nintendo's way of style. I'd rather have the Revolution with it's announced abilities, and a revolutionair controller, then a ps3 with the newest eyecandy. (I know the last bits are rather stolen from the radioshow, but that is my opinion too)

Sorry for making such a long, pointless point, I know it probably doesn't make that much sense overal, but yeah, had to poste my 0.02 cents.

People forget the extraordinary number of abysmal games available for the older systems. We can't pretend 'stories in the past were great, but now they suck'. Super Mario World was a good game, but it didn't have a story. There are loads of modern games with worthy stories, but we ignore them and focus on the shitty games. We think of Doom 3 and forget Morrowind. When we reminisce however, we do the opposite. We remember Chrono Trigger and forget Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

What did you say the first time you played Doom, or wolfenstein?
I beleive it was: "Why do I have this headache and feel nautious? I have to lay down."

It's like a lot of old cartoons, yeah there are a lot that you'll love forever no matter what but there are some you loved back in the day and could't miss an episode of only to get a hold of them today on DVD and find the stories were baked shit.

I recently read a Penny Arcade where Tycho basically says all Japan RPGS have shitty stories, I disagree. I suspect a good many of then are really garbage (such is what I expect to happen when hundreds of games/stories are being produced each month from a racially homogenous country the size of texas), but not all of them are worthless he just chose to lump them all together because his preferance sways away from the type of stories they usually choose to tell. I bet back in the day he ate him some NES RPGs for breakfast, lunch and dinner... and desert.... and midnight snacks.

People forget, new generations never know and eventually people will be saying Halo was unbeatable in the world of FPS while they complain about the weak and boring gameplay of the game systems destined to exist 20 years from now.

LHC posted on Mar 1 2006 at 07:03 PM said:
We remember Chrono Trigger and forget Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

I think it is technially impossible to remember Moonwalker. The brain just shuts it out.

Seriously, there are many rather recent games available now that have great storylines (I loved Eternal Darkness to death, Tales of Symphonia is fun, Total Overdose was great in a cartoony overdrive kind of way), but it's just not the same if you get a story for the first time. Undoubtedly the knight who saves the princess can be great story, but we hve already seen it and were probably most impressed with one of the first versions we heard because they were still relatively new.

I think what we actually remember is innovation.

Mosch posted on Mar 2 2006 at 02:49 AM said:
I think it is technially impossible to remember Moonwalker. The brain just shuts it out.

Seriously, there are many rather recent games available now that have great storylines (I loved Eternal Darkness to death, Tales of Symphonia is fun, Total Overdose was great in a cartoony overdrive kind of way), but it's just not the same if you get a story for the first time. Undoubtedly the knight who saves the princess can be great story, but we hve already seen it and were probably most impressed with one of the first versions we heard because they were still relatively new.

I think what we actually remember is innovation.

Exactly. :p

When we play one genre for the first time, we will remember that as greatness, but when you play 40 more in the same style, you'll get tired of it, but still think of the first one.

Perhaps you're right, and in 20 years, people will say the same as we say now, and people remember the gems of our age (can't remember quite now, what's both a fantastic recent game that's a commercial success too?) and forget all the crap.

he has a few good points but what ever credibility he has is drown in a flood of bile and hate. It's like a Vic20 and a colecovision raped and murdered his wife.

I dont want to kill him. I want to pity him.

He made fun of FFVII :angry:

*Goes and loads his shotgun*

Back